Power head question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gallon tank that I bought used. The filter is set up on the left side as you look at the tank. being that the tank is 48" wide, I was wondering if a low flow power head on the right side would be a good idea to get some current and help the filter. It has fake plants, fake rock and fake driftwood. I was thinking something like a 150 gph or something small like that.

Any thoughts on this, would this be a good or bad thing?

The tank is a 90 gallon with a Marineland Emperor 400.

What type of fish will you be keeping? The amount of flow you want will have a lot to do with what fish you have. You could always do another filter HOB or canister output on the right side. I always lean towards "over-filtering and having the redundancy of two filters running.

I currently have about 12 danios of different varieties, 3 tiger barbs, and 3 gouramis. I am also thinking about getting some amano shrimp to help clean up.

Cool. Sounds like you have a nice Asian tank in the works. :) The tiger barbs should probably be increased (gradually of course) to 8+. You could also do some loaches... just not clowns. They'd appreciate some strong flow. I think with that stocking a powerhead would be a good fit.

The recomended size power head for the tank is around 400gph, I was thinking of doing a smaller rate of 150gph. I am just trying to get some movement on the right side. I have no expirence with power heads at all. Is the flow rate adjustable? Should I just get the bigger one, or go with the small one I was thinking about?

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

I would suggest adding another filter in addition to the Emperor 400. I've used many Emperors and wouldn't recommend running a 90 gallon with only one. Add another Emperor, or an Aquaclear 110, or a canister IMO. :)

The recomended size power head for the tank is around 400gph, I was thinking of doing a smaller rate of 150gph. I am just trying to get some movement on the right side. I have no expirence with power heads at all. Is the flow rate adjustable? Should I just get the bigger one, or go with the small one I was thinking about?

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.

I'm personally of the belief that the only limiting factor for flow are the fish. You obviously don't want to create a whirlpool, but more flow (and even better, filtration) is always good IMO. I've had filters fail and been saved by having another running on the tank so I may be a bit "paranoid". Most aren't adjustable as far as actual throughput, but you can point them at them back of the tank to throttle them back flow-wise or aim them towards the surface to increase surface agitation and there for O2 exchange. There's always more than one way to accomplish somthing in this hobby. That's the fun part! :)

Back
Top Bottom