Powerhead for 29g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mloyko

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I am curious as to whether or not they make any powerheads small enough for a 29g tank so that it will not blow all my sand around. The output from my canister filter isn't enough. I'm doing a fishless cycle and havent been adding anything to the tank and there is debris collecting on the sand and coral rocks I bought and also slimey stuff growing on my heater and 2 filter intanks and all over the glass, im assuming this is because of poor circulation hence me starting this thread.

Please Help,
Thanks

I guess I should mention that the stuff on the heater is pretty much a brownish slime, some of the stuff on my one intake is orange in color and the stuff on my other in tank and the glass is very small in size but a brownish color as is the sediment.

I got a power head for my 9 gallon so a 29 should be easy to find I have a korillia I think that's how you spell it and that puts out 900 litres per hour I think

Hi,

I am curious as to whether or not they make any powerheads small enough for a 29g tank so that it will not blow all my sand around. The output from my canister filter isn't enough. I'm doing a fishless cycle and havent been adding anything to the tank and there is debris collecting on the sand and coral rocks I bought and also slimey stuff growing on my heater and 2 filter intanks and all over the glass, im assuming this is because of poor circulation hence me starting this thread.

Please Help,
Thanks

Is this saltwater or freshwater? Your in the freshwater section so I wanna be sure.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure it's freshwater. The word coral threw me off for half a second. Look into koralia power heads or even Aqueon.

http://m.petco.com/product/112012/Aqueon-Circulation-Aquarium-Pumps.aspx

http://www.marinedepot.com/Fixed_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-FIPHFF-ct.html

Last edited:
Any ideas on the growths I described and how to rid the tank of them? Like I said I'm doing a fishless cycle, im about 2 weeks into it. Everyday I have to add ammonia back up to around 5ppm because it is consumed almost down to zero in a few hours, Nitrites are still up there. I keep my lights off all day except for when the GF comes over to hang out at night, I must add natural light does get in through my windows

If pictures would help I can arrange that

Aqua clear power heads are fantastic. Just a suggestion. They make models that would work great for a 29. Adjustable flow rate too :)

Hydor makes a nano 240 which would be enough for your tank. I have a 30 gallon but instead of a powerhead which i think takes up room and looks ugly i went with a stronger return pump. Just aim it higher so it circulates in a downward motion rather than pushing all your gravel to one side of the tank making trenches

I know this isn't the topic..but what would be a good powerhead for a 40 gallon breeder? Any recommendations? :p

The tank is new and your expierencing diatoms, which is perfectly normal and not from low circulation. Diatoms feed off excess silicates in the water and are self-limiting and will die out as the silicates are depleted. What you can do to keep them down is limit your lighting to only 6 hours daily. If you want alittle help with those that do form I suggest getting 3 or 4 nerite snails. They can't reproduce in FW so you don't get a population explosion as with other types of snails.

I use these Amazon.com: Hydor Koralia Nano (Mini) Pump/Powerhead 240gph: Pet Supplies and they work great. But if you have a canister you shouldn't have a flow issue in that size tank.

That's what I was thinking about the canister, I'm thinking that since I've set up the filter I haven't shut it down and gave it a cleaning yet. It seems like the flow has decreased a bit so I might take it apart tomorrow and see if there is a lot of build up or not taking care not to rid it of BB. I will take the snails into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom