Pregnant barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piratechest

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my males I wrapping hi tail around her and it seems he is vibrating her. Her gravid spot is pretty dark but I have no clue about tiger barbs and there breeding

Attachments

• image-365092299.jpg
    image-365092299.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image-490419753.jpg
    image-490419753.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 61
I couldn't say if that's mating behavior or just normal chasing around. I can say that Barbs are egg layers, so she is not pregnant.

I couldn't say if that's mating behavior or just normal chasing around. I can say that Barbs are egg layers, so she is not pregnant.
I've had this school of barbs for about 4 months and I have never seen behavior like this before. He will put his side against hers and wrap his tail around her dorsal and vibrate for about 2 seconds, then chase her around. It's odd.

Well they`re most likely to be chasing each other around.
Although if you do see the female getting bigger then she could have eggs.
Warning though if the female does have eggs separate her and the male from them because any egg they find they will eat.

This almost certainly mating behaviour. The male is attempting to stimulate the female into spawning. I have bred tiger barbs in the past by conditioning the fish with live and frozen food until the females were plump with eggs. Then placed two males per female in a breeding tank with some coarse matting at the bottom and raised the temperature to 80F. I watched them spawning the next morning, with the eggs falling through the matting out of reach of the parents. I raised about 70 babies.

The behaviour in your fish is what I witnessed. If you want to breed them and raise fry, you will need to set up a separate breeding tank, otherwise, just leave them to it - it is doubtful any fry would survive in your tank with other fish.

Back
Top Bottom