Pregnant or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am still new to platys but from my experience with guppies and my knowledge of what a nonpregnant platy looks like, I would count on having babies....soon.

Robert123 said:
Are baby platys born live?

Yes, that's why platies are called livebearers. They are born alive and kickin and can eat pretty much any baby food, like crushed flakes.

Umm I think guppies can have like 5 - 200. Not sure though...

Watch for signs of stress while she's in there, it could do more bad than good.
I have a breeding cage too but I only use it to protect the babies. I don't have my females give birth in them because I can't determine when they will pop and they seem to freak out too much. I just add tons of hiding places in the tank and let them give birth. Then when I poke around and notice babies, I take them out with a turkey baster and put them in the trap.

Robert123 said:
Ok.
What am i lookig for if she is getting stressed?

Well, a fish flipping out is a good indicator. Mine charge the glass and thrash around. Or if she turns pale and otherwise sickly. Rapid breathing. Little movement. But if she looks as she normally does she's probably ok. She's very pretty by the way. I breed blue ones with orange fins.

Compared to what mine look like before they have their babies, she may have a week or two to go. I might wait a while longer to put her in there. Sometimes they get too stressed and abort them.

Back
Top Bottom