Pregnant or sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The male in the picture is in breeding condition. The females appear to be carrying eggs.
Do a big (75-80%) water change each day using slightly cooler water can often encourage them to spawn. Alternatively, if you separate males and females for 5 days and then put a pr (1 male & 1 female) into a 2 foot tank or plastic storage container with a thin layer of substrate, some plants like Java Moss, and an air operated filter, they will probably breed the following day and you can then remove the adults and see what happens.

The male in the picture is in breeding condition. The females appear to be carrying eggs.
Do a big (75-80%) water change each day using slightly cooler water can often encourage them to spawn. Alternatively, if you separate males and females for 5 days and then put a pr (1 male & 1 female) into a 2 foot tank or plastic storage container with a thin layer of substrate, some plants like Java Moss, and an air operated filter, they will probably breed the following day and you can then remove the adults and see what happens.

I have 5 M and 1 F I and adding a blackwater aid to help the spawning also at night my heater is set 2° cooler then in day from my blackwater bottle
As a Spawning Aid: Consult reference materials for the specific spawning requirements of shrimp and fishes in your aquaria and use this product and the following instructions to your best advantage: over a period of 6 days, increase basic daily dosage to 6 drops per 10 US-gallons (37.9 L) by increasing the number of drops administered by one drop each day (resulting in 6 drops per 10 US-gallons per day on the 6th day). Maintain this dosage (or increase it if desired) until shrimp or fishes have concluded spawning and eggs have hatched, at which point dosage may be gradually decreased back to basic dosage. Adding Shrimp BlackWaterClear directly to water being used in water changes, particularly when made on a daily basis, may have the most positive impact; when using this method, add the appropriate amount of Shrimp BlackWaterClear for the entire system volume for that day. An increase in water temperature and the amount of live foods fed, in conjunction with following the above dosing instructions, will often encourage spawning. Be aware that an increase in feedings will generate increased waste and the need to remove it from the aquarium via more frequent water changes.

Black water isn't need for breeding barbs. They will breed easily in clear water. Make sure they are well fed for 2 weeks before breeding, separate them for 5 days and put them together.

Back
Top Bottom