Prime Overdose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoseidonCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday a friend and I were talking and he told me a story. I'd like to find out whether it's an urban legend by getting your opinions. He said he knew someone in his old apartment building with a seemingly healthy tank who decided to add some Prime after a slight maybe 10% water change. The tank was 100-125 gal. This was a guy who had already used Prime in the tank the day before, always threw in a little when adding new fish, so I'm assuming the water already had too much Prime in it to begin with. He dropped a whole cap full of the big bottle (maybe more) directly into the tank after topping it up. Within minutes all the fish in the tank rushed to the surface gulping for air. The airstones and filter were running but it didn't help. They started dropping dead to the aquarium bottom. He lost almost every fish in there except the labyrinth fish (his gouramis) and the air gulping catfish like corys. Is such a scenario possible?

I can assure you whatever occurred in the tank had absolutely nothing to do with prime, water chemistry? Temp? Chlorine? Sabotage?? Not prime. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The caps are the same size on all the bottles (except the tiny one). One capful treats 50 gallons. Seachem says prime is safe to dose up to 5x the recommended dosage, which would be 10 capfuls on a 100 gallon tank.

People have a tendency to grasp on to anything when looking for reasons why fish die. Often we just don't know why they die, but that is how myths are started - someone assumes something is the case, pushes it hard and then people start repeating it until it's "common knowledge".

I don't think the actual number of gallons of the tank in the OPs story is important - it's a big tank, whether it's 75, 90 or 125 gallons. All would require several capfuls of prime.

I don't think the actual number of gallons of the tank in the OPs story is important - it's a big tank, whether it's 75, 90 or 125 gallons. All would require several capfuls of prime.

True, true - I was wondering if it was maybe 10gal or some mix up with litres. Big tanks I just find a pretty bullet proof (until they are not and you are cursing that a water python was never purchased after the umpteenth bucket).

What that make a difference? Just in general out of interest.
Cupramine and prime mixed in a tank creates a toxic stew in rhe tank. Offhandedly, its the only thing I can think of for this that would directly relate to prime.

True, true - I was wondering if it was maybe 10gal or some mix up with litres. Big tanks I just find a pretty bullet proof (until they are not and you are cursing that a water python was never purchased after the umpteenth bucket).

A capful in a 10 gallon would certainly be at the manufactures proclaimed limit for safety. Would be much more plausible.

Even a 5x dose of prime by itself would not produce that kind of instant death. It had to be something else tied to what he was doing.

Its sounds like he got the prime mixed up with the ammonia! I almost did that once.lol

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or the vodka:D I always know where the vodka goes though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom