Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Prime / Water Change query

Hi all,

Just a quick query in regards to how people do water changes.

My current process is...

1. Drain old water
2. Switch off filter
3. Add Prime
4. Add new water
5. Wait 30 minutes
6. Switch on filter

My question is whether or not it's necessary to wait the 30 minutes before turning the filter back on? Or whether or not the filter should be turned off at all?

Cheers in advance

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my canister is the only one that gets turned off. the tubes from my HOB are so long that they pick up water half empty.lol i usually just empty about 50%, put new water in of same temp, add dechlorinator, and add my new dose of ferts for my plants and im set. i guess it helps as a less shocking situation for the fish to wait a little. or not to have water sloshing everywhere while the tanks being emptied.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Hi all,

Just a quick query in regards to how people do water changes.

My current process is...

1. Drain old water
2. Switch off filter
3. Add Prime
4. Add new water
5. Wait 30 minutes
6. Switch on filter

My question is whether or not it's necessary to wait the 30 minutes before turning the filter back on? Or whether or not the filter should be turned off at all?

Cheers in advance

I do it the same way except my filters stay on unless I'm doing maintenance on them also. Ohh don't forget to turn off your heater when draining water.
The way your doing it is fine imo if your worried about killing your bacteria then don't be Prime takes care of it. Everyone does water changes a little differently its just all about personal preferences. Your good
Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you'd wanna run your filters dry during a water change, you may burn out something and why benefit is there to running it with no water flowing?

I shut everything down. I just turn off the surge protector and drain tank to desired level. I then add Prime and my Excel. Then temp match and refill. Once tank is filled I power up everything and I'm done. The AC 110 sometimes needs a little help so I'll add some tank water to it to help prime it. My fx5 is self priming so no issues there.

I'm interested in why you would leave the filters running dry. I would that would be bad for them wouldn't it?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is there a reason to add prime to the tank instead of to the water that is being added? Does it matter? I add new water to a water cooler, add in prime and then refill the tank with the already 'primed' water. It seems to work okay.
29g SA biotope - many SA inhabitants
MartyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I don't think you'd wanna run your filters dry during a water change, you may burn out something and why benefit is there to running it with no water flowing?

I shut everything down. I just turn off the surge protector and drain tank to desired level. I then add Prime and my Excel. Then temp match and refill. Once tank is filled I power up everything and I'm done. The AC 110 sometimes needs a little help so I'll add some tank water to it to help prime it. My fx5 is self priming so no issues there.

I'm interested in why you would leave the filters running dry. I would that would be bad for them wouldn't it?
I don't run my filters dry. I drain 50% of water from my tank but the intakes on my canister filters are well below the water line so they don't run dry.
Besides who said anything about running filters dry that's silly.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxhua

I don't run my filters dry. I drain 50% of water from my tank but the intakes on my canister filters are well below the water line so they don't run dry.
Besides who said anything about running filters dry that's silly.
Haha I guess I just figured. If I do a water change I'm the same and ya know what? Never thought of that! My fx5 is well below that also. It's my AC 110 that needs to be shut down.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's one of the reasons I don't like HOB filters, just annoying to get them going again.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
I turn off everything similar to convict. The heater can easily burn out, I burnt my aquaclear 300 that way.

When I plug in my filter it automatically works. So I like it.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I turn everything off, water/prime, and turn it back on immediately. I do not wait. I haven't had a problem.

Tags
change, prime, rim, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com