Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newkeeperotis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just feed my tetras 3 darted round grabbing food left right and centre but one had sat in the conner for a hour or 2 now and did come for any food plz help

Tetras should be kept in schools of 6+ if not they can pick on the weakest fish which may be the issue. What else do you have stocked in your tank and do you have parameter readings? Also what size tank do you have?

All of them PH, ammo, trites, trates, and temp. That tank is very small for tetras too.

7.5 ph 24 degrees c nd the rest are fine I had the water tested when I got the fish nd I was told that I could have 8-10 tetras in there.

Don't trust the store to give you accurate readings since its in their interest for you to purchase more fish. Invest in an api liquid test kit so you can check for yourself. Also I'd reccomend upgrading to a 20 long which will give you a lot more options. Have you cycled this tank by the way?

Yes that should help.. do you notice them nipping at the one hiding?

Round we thought they were playing tho it didn't look aggressive the one hiding is a bit smaller than the rest he looks like a younger fish

Also I did a water test the ph is perfect but the rest is a bit high is that the filter getting use to the fish being in there also I did a 20% water change should I do this again tomorrow ??

Almost certain that is the main issue then.. when schooling fish are kept understocked the alpha males and alpha females will pick on the weakest/slowest fish sometimes to death which is why more is better to spread out the bullying or completely stop it.

You should be doing as many changes as it takes to keep ammo below .25 ppm trites below .25 ppm and trates below 40 ppm... Do you have exact reading to provide?

No problem but if you just added these fish then you are going to be dealing with a fish in cycle which means daily water changes to keep them alive. Have you read the articles on here about cycling a new tank?

Back
Top Bottom