Problem with my Shrimp! Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello folks, my tank has beeen pretty healthy over the last few months, but recently I have had a slight increase in what I think is Hair Algae, long thin strands in clumps, however I'm not sure if that is what has caused the following problem. Nitrates I think may have also been a little higher than usual due to missing a water change one week.

Problem: I have an Armoured Shrimp in the tank and has been heathly and fine for the last few months since I bought him, and he has shed his skin a total of 3 times I think since I've had him. He gets along fine with all other tank mates without a problem a very happy community! However he took a wee bit longer getting the skin off this time (maybe I was imagining it, maybe it just depends on them, sort of came off half and half later)... then a few days to a week later, yesterday I saw him just lying upside down on his back outside the cave he hangs around in. At first I thought he may have been playing as he sometimes goes on his side and clings upside down to things and if on his back from falling from something he can usually roll over easily. He was moving but struggling.

I put in a net and gently nudged him but he wasn't able to use his own strength to turn over, however he does have the strength to grab/hook his claws/arms onto things (e.g. net and plant leaf). So I put him in the quarantine cubicle floating in the tank and assumed he would be dead by morning (very sad :(). Also did a quarter water change before bed. But got up this morning and he was still moving his arms etc, so I put a plastic plant in with him which he grabbed on to to give him a hiding place.

It is now the end of this day and apparently back home (I'm at Uni just now) he is still alive, sort of upright/vertical clinging to a leaf. I don't know if this means he's had strength to pull up and he should be taken out or if Shrimps generally do all this when they are about to die. How long to they live for? I love having him in the tank and don't want to see him go! :(

Any help appreciated.

that's interesting because one of my shrimp turned/fell over on its side and kept kicking it's swimmerets but couldnt get up so i tipped it back over. it didnt turn milky white in color like it was about to die, it just got up and went on its way...maybe it was resting like a lot of fish do?

What is an armoured shrimp? crafish or something?

I have two vampire shrimp, alot of ghost shrimp, and 5 amanos.

I've seen ghost shrimp (when they have thurned that milky white color)fall on their backs before and they start moving their appendages all around, but can't get up and they later end up dying.

I put supplements of iodine in my tank every other week and it seems to help my shrimp with their molting.

Back
Top Bottom