protein skimmers on freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttopmustanggt88

Aquarium Advice Regular
just as title says does any use one on a freshwater tank. is it worth it. i really like to overkill filtering and what not and my cousin had one from saltwater tank he had and put it on his freshwater and said its a must have. if you do what pros and cons. and what skimmer would you recomend. only a 55 gallon here so i dont need anything huge. thanks josh

he said his water was pretty clear and after 2 days of having it running it was crystal clear and the trap on the skimmer had alot of red water in it????

8O

Way past my limited level of understanding. Does he have red substrate?

How can that be? I picked up a protein skimmer for $10 today ... regular price of $200

no has natural colored gravel. after 2 days it turned to a faint pink then finally went away. now its just greasy looking water.

serlunchalot you are so into that new protein skimmer. although it is a very nice steal. but to the fresh water skimmer. it might help some, but its defenatly not as usful as it would be on a sw. by the way. skimmers arn't neary as effecient on fw. i wouldn't say its a must but if you have the money to spend :D

Back
Top Bottom