puffer food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
My girlfriend is dead set on a GSP. What kind of snails, shrimp, etc. should I have ready for it when I introduce it to the tank? Any specific kind of snails or anything?

Depending on the size of the puffer, you need small medium and large snails. Never feed a mystery snail. Nerites and pond snails are good. Supplement the diet of flakes with ghost shrimp.

Will the nerites reproduce like rabbits? Just wondering, cuz I don't want the puffer to gorge himself to death.

Last edited:
darby said:
Will the nerites reproduce like rabbits? Just wondering, cuz I don't want the puffer to gorge himself to death.

In appropriate water for the puffer, the snails won't live long enough to reproduce. 1 the puffer will eat them too fast, 2 they are freshwater snails and hate saltwater.

Thank you. I'm new to brackish tanks, and I want this to go right. Im sure I'll mess something up. Are there any possible tankmates that won't end up as food?

darby said:
Thank you. I'm new to brackish tanks, and I want this to go right. Im sure I'll mess something up. Are there any possible tankmates that won't end up as food?

I have a few indian glass fish. They all get along. Other than another puffer, though, nothing is safe.

Back
Top Bottom