Pygmy gourami and mollies in 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evz316

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 10g tank stocked with a male and female short-fin molly along with 2 african dwarf frogs. I am considering adding Pygmy gourami (sparkling/croaking gourami) as they are also known.

Will the gourami's mix ok with mollies? I realise there is no guarantees but i don't want to risk it if it is likely to be an issue. The frogs tend to keep to themselves and never bother the fish or vice versa so I don't think they'll be a problem.

In terms if quantity I was thinking 3 gourami (2 female, 1 male) would this be okay for a 10g tank? I have no intention of adding anymore fish after this.

Thanks in advance :)

I currently have a 10g tank stocked with a male and female short-fin molly along with 2 african dwarf frogs. I am considering adding Pygmy gourami (sparkling/croaking gourami) as they are also known.

Will the gourami's mix ok with mollies? I realise there is no guarantees but i don't want to risk it if it is likely to be an issue. The frogs tend to keep to themselves and never bother the fish or vice versa so I don't think they'll be a problem.

In terms if quantity I was thinking 3 gourami (2 female, 1 male) would this be okay for a 10g tank? I have no intention of adding anymore fish after this.

Thanks in advance :)

Unfortunatly your tank is already overstocked. Those 2 mollies shouldnt be in a tank that small. If you get rid of them then you can have the gouramis :)

Unfortunatly your tank is already overstocked. Those 2 mollies shouldnt be in a tank that small. If you get rid of them then you can have the gouramis :)

image-366469685.jpg

Really? They aren't very big and have successfully bred 28 fry all of which lived. This was back in May. I thought that due to them breeding that they were happy in there conditions.

I have attached a picture to show the size of them and will be doing a monthly water water change later today. Is this all okay do you think?

I certainly will not be adding anymore fish though as I hate the thought of overstocking and I am glad I asked now. Thanks.

Really? They aren't very big and have successfully bred 28 fry all of which lived. This was back in May. I thought that due to them breeding that they were happy in there conditions.

I have attached a picture to show the size of them and will be doing a monthly water water change later today. Is this all okay do you think?

I certainly will not be adding anymore fish though as I hate the thought of overstocking and I am glad I asked now. Thanks.

Monthly water change? With that stock you shoukd be doing weekly. If that is water wisteria in the tank then bi-weekly water changes might be ok. Mollies are very dirty fish.
However I may be wrong. I am used to regular mollies not balloons.

Hi godfan, thank you for the reply. That is useful information regarding water change, I will up the changes to fortnightly. I have been doing 50% changes, is that the right amount do you think? I am keen to learn so please do not hold back, any info is much appreciated.

I think a big contribution has been that I've been fortunate enough to get the water from a natural spring and the fish seem to thrive in it in comparison to what I've seen from my friends tanks etc I strongly recommend it to anyone able to be fortunate enough to gather water in this way.

Tomorrow I will be removing the ornament on the left in the pic to replace it with some boxwood which I have heard can assist the balance of the tank and I'm sure the frogs will appreciate it over the ornament.

Thanks again for your feedback.
James

You need to do 50 percent weekly changes to clean out all the toxins in the water such as fish pee and poop as well as nitrates. 50 percent is the right amount of water to take out each week.

Hi godfan, thank you for the reply. That is useful information regarding water change, I will up the changes to fortnightly. I have been doing 50% changes, is that the right amount do you think? I am keen to learn so please do not hold back, any info is much appreciated.

I think a big contribution has been that I've been fortunate enough to get the water from a natural spring and the fish seem to thrive in it in comparison to what I've seen from my friends tanks etc I strongly recommend it to anyone able to be fortunate enough to gather water in this way.

Tomorrow I will be removing the ornament on the left in the pic to replace it with some boxwood which I have heard can assist the balance of the tank and I'm sure the frogs will appreciate it over the ornament.

Thanks again for your feedback.
James

I am not sure what a fortnight is lol but yea 50% is good. The spring water is a great idea btw!

You need to do 50 percent weekly changes to clean out all the toxins in the water such as fish pee and poop as well as nitrates. 50 percent is the right amount of water to take out each week.

Brilliant, thank you, I am glad I joined the forum today to get this info.

You need to clean it every week not every 2. It's going to benefit your fish a lot because your way overstocked as is.

If it really requires a weekly change than that is what i will do. Am I really overstocked with 2 mollies and 2 adf? I am in no way doubting your knowledge I am just interested to hear more on the subject if possible. I would love to move a much bigger tank in around feb/march but I do respect that there is a certain amount of knowledge required before doing so and that is what I intend to gain. Thanks :)

If it really requires a weekly change than that is what i will do. Am I really overstocked with 2 mollies and 2 adf? I am in no way doubting your knowledge I am just interested to hear more on the subject if possible. I would love to move a much bigger tank in around feb/march but I do respect that there is a certain amount of knowledge required before doing so and that is what I intend to gain. Thanks :)

Actually larger tanks are easier. A biweekly change should be ok. Weekly is the standard most people accept but it is kind of outdated rule with the newer knowledge we have of the practice now. Basically you only need to do water changes when the nitrates get above 30-40 ppm. If you use emmersed plants and balance it right you can do 0 water changes but it is difficult and not recomended for a beginner.
Do you have a test kit?

If you can get a larger tank by January or February you will be ok as long as you plan on moving the Molly's into it. You are overstocked just because Molly's get large around 4 inches and produce a lot of waste. If you can continue to do weekly water changes it will be ok for 2 months

I must admit I have never once used a test kit other than when I first set the tank up and this is not out of negligence but because the fish have successfully had 25-30 fry on two occasions. I was told they would only breed in the ideal conditions otherwise the female would not allow it. Is this correct guys?

Not exactly because the male will get with get her really no matter what at least with livebearers

Back
Top Bottom