Quarantine Procedure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’ve currently got a new quarter-sized angelfish and three ghost shrimp in a 5-gallon (hex-shaped) QT. Being a small tank, I don’t want to have to keep the angelfish in there for too long. How long is it necessary to quarantine new fish before adding them to the DT?

Any less than 30 days (or less than 30 days ater treating a disease) defeats the purpose IMO. So, I'd keep it in there for a full 30 days as long as you don't see any diseases, if so, treat, then keep for 30 days after the disease has been cured.

That is a bit on the small side, but with such a small angel, I think it'll be fine.

The problem with QTs is that unless they are AT LEAST as good as the DT you will cause more harm than you will prevent. Between water quality problems because of the small volume and lack of water changes and their usually poorly decorated the fish simply don't settle in well. Stress causes problems, most QT cause more stress than the DT.

If you do water changes they should be from the DT that the fish will go in to so that they are used to the water before they go in.

In order for an illness to occur two things have to happen. 1- a pathogen is present. This is ALWAYS true, no matter how well you quarantine everything that goes into the tank it is never sterile. 2- the fish are stressed. This is when their immune system is weakened and allows whatever pathogens are present to get a chance to cause infection/disease.

IMO it is better to put fish directly into a properly setup and maintained DT. The better conditions will prevent most health problems.

Why would you use water from DT for a PWC on QT? I understand the logic that this will help adjust the fish to the new tank... but isn't that water already full of nitrates? Won't that do more harm than good?

Your DT should not be full of nitrates, more than tap water yes, but it is stable water that is exactly what the fish will be going in. If it isn't good enough for them to get as a water change, it isn't good enough for the DT. Water changes on a QT should be more frequent than in a DT. It should be more like every one to two days, not once a week. This will help keep the water quality from dropping too much.

Back
Top Bottom