Quarantine questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank to put my africans in before they go in my 125, but i have a few questions about it too.
1. How long do i keep them in there before i transfer them to my main tank?
2. How many fish am i able to quarantine at a time?
3. Do i have to do anything special to the tank with fish in it?
4. Do i have to do anything special to the tank when i take fish out?

I think thats it for right now, but it'd be great if i could get some answers! Thanks!

1. Generally the accepted practice is a minimum of two weeks, four to be conservative or safer.

2. The number of fish depends on their size, temperament and how often you feel like doing water changes

3. Some people add medication to the quarantine tank as an extra precaution but in general all you need to do is monitor your fish

4. Clean the tank and the filter

1. Generally the accepted practice is a minimum of two weeks, four to be conservative or safer. 2. The number of fish depends on their size, temperament and how often you feel like doing water changes 3. Some people add medication to the quarantine tank as an extra precaution but in general all you need to do is monitor your fish 4. Clean the tank and the filter
Excellent! Thanks!

I'd definitely deworm all new arrivals though to take care of common internal parasites

Yeah, good idea. Any ideas on how to do that? Sad thing is, apparently the fish in my tank already have IPs. So i might take them out, put them in my 10, and treat them. Then i'll do a large water change on my 125 while there arent fish in it.

Yeah, good idea. Any ideas on how to do that? Sad thing is, apparently the fish in my tank already have IPs. So i might take them out, put them in my 10, and treat them. Then i'll do a large water change on my 125 while there arent fish in it.

Prazipro is a good one. If they have worms they'll be pooping them out quickly lol.

How many fish are you going to put in the 10?

I'm not sure. There are 7 in my main tank, but i dont think i should treat them all at once in a small tank like that. I think i'll usually only be putting 3 in there at a time.

I'm not sure. There are 7 in my main tank, but i dont think i should treat them all at once in a small tank like that. I think i'll usually only be putting 3 in there at a time.

You'd have to get a tank large enough to accommodate everyone.

If you do three at a time, then when you move those three back, they'll be infected again.

There's also the option of using a medicated food and feeding It to everyone in the main tank, or even dosing directly to the main tank (even though it can be expensive)

Parasites suck :( I've had my share of them and it's never fun. I hope your fish recover!!

You'd have to get a tank large enough to accommodate everyone. If you do three at a time, then when you move those three back, they'll be infected again. There's also the option of using a medicated food and feeding It to everyone in the main tank, or even dosing directly to the main tank (even though it can be expensive) Parasites suck :( I've had my share of them and it's never fun. I hope your fish recover!!
Thanks! Do you know where i can get medicated food? That sounds like a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom