Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quarantine Tank

I wasn't quite sure where to put this one. I don't actually have any sick fish yet, so I decided not to put it in the sick fish forum.

I have two tanks that can be used for quarantines. One is a five gallon, and the other is a ten gallon. I was planning on using the five gallon for freshwater qt, and then the ten gallon for my future saltwater. How does this sound? Any suggestions?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
I'd say for now ... just go with the 10gal and when you get the SW going, then I'd say go with your initial idea.

A 5gal is small, but as a QT I think it works fine. I had a Green Barb in 4 day 4.5gal medical QT bucket until I got a 10gal tank. It healed and it's been back in the display tank for over a week.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. I've had luck with minimal ilness so far. I had a guppy epidemic, and then some cory problems, but it's seemed to settle down now. If only I'd had the qt when I needed it. But I'll be prepared now. So I'll use the ten gallon for freshwater until I get the saltwater, and then switch when I can.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettababe1011 View Post
But I'll be prepared now. So I'll use the ten gallon for freshwater until I get the saltwater, and then switch when I can.
Yeah, I feel that's the way to go, besides ... it seems that dosages for meds are
packaged for 10gal increments ... PLUS .. the extra 5 gal volume gives you a little more room for error, to control temp fluctuations and swimming room.

Hopefully ... the only time you'll have to use it is for introducing new (not a replacement) stock!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup. Thanks. Maybe a bigger tank will be in the future for my frog so I can have his ten gallon for another qt. lol
Hmm, wonder if my mom would feel it's as important as I do.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettababe1011 View Post
Ok. I've had luck with minimal ilness so far.
Me too but my luck recently ran out. I got some new fish a couple weeks ago that ended up with a columnaris outbreak and I lost 23 fish. Never again will I chance it by not QTing fish before adding to my main tank.

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com