Frequency of vacuuming in a no substrate quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramtsi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently set up a quarantine tank for new fish. Currently it has 9 neon tetras in it. When I feed them they don't eat much because they're still stressed, and most of the food makes it's way to the bottom.

How often should I vacuum the tank? Doing it it every day looks to me a bit excessive.

What do you mean by vacuuming? Do you mean change water or do you mean sucking up poop and uneaten food from the glass on the bottom of the tank?

Is the tank cycled? If its cycled then a weekly water change is likely enough. If its not cycled then you will need to do water changes to control water quality and this could mean daily. How big is the tank? Do you know your water parameters in the QT? What has been a typical schedule up to now? How much how often?

Are these neons juveniles or fully grown? If they are juvenille they will benefit from more regular water changes.

If you are just wanting to suck up poop and uneaten food from the bottom of the tank, 2 minutes with a turkey baster once a day after feeding should get it all out. The poop and food will be easy to see with the bare bottom tank. Dont leave uneaten food when its so quick and easy remove it.

Last edited:
Thanks, its a 10 gallon cycled tank with juvenile neon tetras. I'm asking about cleaning poo and leftover food. Will use a turkey blaster daily.
And is it still ok to change water weekly, or should I do it more often?

I cant possibly say about your water change schedule on the information given.

What are your water parameters? How did you cycle the tank? What has been your water change schedule so far?

The tank is only up for the last 3 days. It has a cycled sponge filter from the main tank.
Didn't take any water parameters yet.

If you arent able to take water parameters you have no idea if its cycled. Your sponge will no doubt have some beneficial bacteria, but without a water test you have no idea if its enough to cycle out all the waste your fish produce.

9 neons in 10 gallons is pretty full. I would change 1/3 of the water daily until you can test the water and confirm its fully cycled.

Last edited:
All parameters are 0 (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). When I started the tank I had put some frogbit in the tank to help with the cycle.

If you are confident in your water tests, as the fish are still juvenille, i would probably change the water couple of times of week, and continue to monitor parameters.

Back
Top Bottom