Quarantine Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36G Freshwater Tropical Tank I started about a month ago. Right now I have guppies, zebra danios and corys. No quarantining, but before I buy Neon Tetras I want to get the quarantine tank going.

I don't need the quarantine tank running all the time, just need to set it up if I need to (new fish, sick fish, etc.)

For filtration (after reading many topics here and googling): I've seen none is needed and do 50% water change every 2 days, and I've read buy an AquaClear 20 and take some filter floss from DT and use it in the QT.

I already have an air pump, I was hoping to just use that, no filter. Can I do that and use Seachem Prime & Nutrafin Cycle (BB in a jar)?

I think you are going to want a filter even if it is just something smaller and cheap. That way when you are quarantining you can take some filter media out of your main tank and put it in the QT tanks filter. Or you can use the extra filter in your main tank and then when you want to use the QT tank you can just place it in there. Also do you have a heater?

BrunetteBaby - Yes I have a heater for the tank.

Maybe take airpump and wrap my DT filter floss around it?

Would doing this or buying a small HOB filter and use my DT filter floss be enough BB to have a 10 gallon instant cycled?

Will probably not be instant cycled, but will for sure help for cycling.

I'll suggest you wait 2 weeks or more. After this, only add one shrimp, wait for few days, if it's still ok, then you're ok to add a bunch of other one.

Never overfeed shrimp tank, it will lead to ammonia spike fast.

Though this QT tank / hospital tank is not going to be setup all the time. Just when I need it. I can't wait 2 weeks.

If that's the case, I'll do HOB filter with DT filter floss and 50% PWCs every other day.

Sorry I was confused betweed two threads. Yeah, you can do WC if ammonia/nitrite raise when you need it.

My QT tank is running with filtration, even if there's nothing inside. Once at 2 weeks, I put a bit of food, and few drops of "Nutrafin Waste Control" on the food. Waste Control is heterotrophic bacterias that converts waste and uneaten food into ammonia, so the cycle stay.

How often would I need to test for Ammonia/Nitrite? Almost seems easier just to do 50% water Change every other day? :)

Wmmmm not before you add fishs. Add your fish to QT, wait 2-3 days, then test for ammonia/nitrites. Wait 1 week, if ammonia still 0 and nitrites 0, then probably the tank is cycled, if not, do WC, and test daily (or 2).

I'll not feed too much the new temporary inhabitant that'll go in this tank, just what they need.

What about buying an extra decent filter for the quarantine tank and having it running in your big tank all the time, and just put it into quarantine tank when you have new/sick fish?

I'm not too excited about having another filter on my main tank. I already have a canister. And I already have a spare air pump I was hoping to use for my QT

What about buying an extra decent filter for the quarantine tank and having it running in your big tank all the time, and just put it into quarantine tank when you have new/sick fish?
that's what I do it works great

I can understand not wanting a whole other filter for a qt tank that won't be set up all the time. Besides, sometimes if you add a group of fish to it even with established media, it could cause a mini-cycle. If you plan on doing frequent water changes to keep up with cleanliness, I think your idea of just using filter floss on an air stone and adding BB and Prime will suffice. It's pretty similar to a sponge filter, and if you want, you could always make a diy sponge filter for cheap- all you would need to get is a sponge and pvc pipe. Or you could always spring for something already made like Lee's Triangle Dual Action Foam filter. (Amazon.com: Lee's Triangle Dual-Action Foam Filter Fits up to 25-Gallon: Pet Supplies ) I'm not sure if they have anything like this at your lfs, but it'd be worth looking. I'm not sure if your canister filter has a tray that could hold a sponge that size, but if it could, then you could always leave it in there while you're not using it, that way it could have some BB of it's own when you are using the qt.
Otherwise, I personally don't see a problem with your original idea. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Triangle-Dual-Action-Filter-25-Gallon/dp/B002DVTDL6

In a QT tank, do I need to be more worried about ammonia or nitrites? Or both equally?

Ideally, if I keep ammonia at 0 constantly, need I be worried about nitrites?

Technically, I suppose that ammonia is the one to be worried about because if there's no ammonia, then there shouldn't be any nitrites or nitrates (correct me if I'm wrong, please, but this is my understanding). But I will say that they are all important to consider, just because if you have one, you will have them all (ammonia, nitrIte, & nitrAte). :)
I suppose you could look it as a "luxurious" betta bowl. They don't have any filtration and you do water changes on it to keep up with any wastes. As long as you are dedicated to the water changes as needed, I really don't see the issue.

Back
Top Bottom