Question about cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darcy cole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I sort of have a cloudy water question...I have a 29 gallon fresh water tank..have had it about 6 months..I'm still learning and I keep the water looking pretty good at the right levels etc etc..I replace a gallon of water every other day and about every two to three weeks I replace a third of the water and wipe the inside of the tank down and tidy up but the gunk that's been nestling in the gravel gets stirred up and I feel like the bottom is still pretty gross..at the aquarium store I've seen little vacuums..bottom line..what's the best way to clean the gravel?

Hi! I sort of have a cloudy water question...I have a 29 gallon fresh water tank..have had it about 6 months..I'm still learning and I keep the water looking pretty good at the right levels etc etc..I replace a gallon of water every other day and about every two to three weeks I replace a third of the water and wipe the inside of the tank down and tidy up but the gunk that's been nestling in the gravel gets stirred up and I feel like the bottom is still pretty gross..at the aquarium store I've seen little vacuums..bottom line..what's the best way to clean the gravel?
also I have a little sucker fish that seems pretty busy and happy..

also I have a little sucker fish that seems pretty busy and happy..

I do 50% water changes weekly and don't add any other water to the tank that's when I clean my glass and filter and pre filter give it a shot

I wouldn't recommend doing a 50% wc I do 20 to 25% weekly. But a gravel vac is a must because that's where all the waste in the tank settles

I've been doing 50% WC's in my tanks since the 80's with excellent results. Fish actually tend to enjoy large WC's and become more active and will often times spawn (depending on the species kept) if water that is added back in is a couple degrees cooler than the tank water. By doing 1 large weekly water change toxins and excess nutrients never have a chance to build up. I change out 100 gallons of water weekly from my 220g tank.

I wouldn't bother with anything less than 50% weekly. Large water changes maintain good pure water conditions. Topping off the tank is fine but large weekly water changes keep fish healthy.

All I said was I wouldn't do it. To me it seems that it would be easy to shock ur fish that way but you've doing this longer than me so more power to ya

My local fish store is very knowledgeable. (This is not a chain store)
This is what they told me to do and my tank has done very well. I have a 46 gal which is heavily stocked. Each week I change 14 gal of water either with or w/o vacuuming. With this schedule the whle tank is cleaned each month.
I also use r/o water.

Week 1 - water change only
Week 2 - vacuum right side of tank
Week 3 - water change only
Week 4 - vacuum left side of tank.

Hello! I cleaned my tank yesterday and this morning I noticed a tiny white speck on the back of my sucker fish.. Other than the cleaning I haven't added anything to my tank except to replace evaporated water about every three days... Although about a month ago tiny little snails appeared.
I haven't added any new plants for months..I have never ah duck before but is that what it could be? I'd like to avoid adding any more chemicals if possible...

Back
Top Bottom