Question about filter for 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my LFS is having a sale and I'll be able to get two Marineland 150B Penguin Bio-Wheel filters for $29.99. They are rated for 30G apiece and have a GPH rate of 150. Would both of these filters be okay for my 55G? At least until I can afford to upgrade the filtration. The 55 will be stocked with:

1 common pleco
1 black ghost knife
4 yo yo loachs
1 clown pleco
1 rainbow shark

Also, I've never used a Marineland filter before, so any feedback on them would be great.

I believe they would work pretty well. I have a similiar setup; I have an Emperor 280 on my 46 gallon bowfront, and my water is always crystal clear. You would have a total of 300gph for 55 gallons. Thats a tank turnover rate of about 5.5 per hour.

COnsidering you only need 110gph for a 55.

I run 455gph on a 52g tank. Water is always clear.

The only issues Ive had with my HOB marinelands in the past is picking up sand at any level of filtration intake in the tank. The canisters ive never used, my old man used em and hated em but that was his opinion on em.

I prefer to stick to Hagen brands like AC's and fluvals

I would save another $20 and buy a Marineland Emperor 400, I really think that it would be worth it. A lot of reveiws on Puenguins are bad and most of the Emperors are good and I own 2. I had an Emperor 400 on my 55g and it kept it sparkling like drinking water, plus they have media containers, and spray bars for the bio-wheels.

One word of advice, take measurements between your braces on your tank( if you have upper braces) I had issues with penguin 350's and emperor 400's not fitting inbetween my upper braces.

One word of advice, take measurements between your braces on your tank( if you have upper braces) I had issues with penguin 350's and emperor 400's not fitting inbetween my upper braces.
Do you have a "show tank"? or column tank?

Okay. I think I'll go with them. Its two of them for $30 and I plan on upgrading my filtration for all my tanks, so I could use them on my 20G later on down the line. I'll take proper measurements of the tank, although its a standard 55 gallon. And I want to get this tank set up pretty quickly while still doing things right. I'll pick them up when I get my pfs later this week. Thanks for the input.

The question I have is what size are the fish you've listed?

I think you could make that setup work short term if the fish are not too big. It isn't an optimal set up but is do-able.

But as you know the bigger the fish the more filter capacity you need.

(It's amazing how much in this hobby depends on poo!)

The tank is going to hold those fish until I set up a 75G, then it's going to become a SA/CA cichlid tank. The black ghost knife and common pleco are both going to be moved to a much bigger tank (I'm leaning towards 180G) in a few months. The loaches are all about 2-3", the rainbow shark is about 4" and the clown pleco is about 2". The black ghost knife is about 4-5" and the common pleco is 8-9". I'll also be throwing 2 of the filters I have running on my 10G tanks onto this one. I'll have to look up their gph later.

Blue, I have a flat back hex, more of a business display tank due to dimensions, reminds me of my childhood dentists tank.

I have 3 braces on the top of my 4' tank.

I have a Marineland Biowheel on my tank and I like it cause it's SO much quieter than my other filters! I had the same problem with trying to fit it on my tank, and I actually had to pull that side of the tank away from the wall because it is pretty bulky! And they were right about the sand...My BGK thinks it's fun to un-bury everything in the tank, and cover everything else in the tank (i.e bubble disk, wands, etc)....lol, so that churns sand up and into the intake, but has yet to stop the filter, which has happened to my other filters....My water is VERY VERY clear, but I only have 2 fish in there too. Good luck with your new fish! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my BGK! He is SOOOO funny! And I just had to move one of my Dwarf Gourami's in with him, and they are good buddies now! LOL, funny to watch them.

Thanks dkpate. I can't wait to set this up and for it to cycle. I might be getting another 55G for free which means I can start my sa/ca cichlid tank and my haunted tank!

Uh oh, sounds like someone else has MTS now!!! Keep me updated on your BGK when you get him! They do poo a lot though lol! Every day I use a turkey baster to pick it up. Also, I just picked up a clip on desk lamp and got a plant light to go in it, so that way it only lights up half his tank and he can still play in the other half. He loves to play around the bottom intake of the filter lol. And they really love bubbles! His favorite one is the tiny wand which I have buried in the sand a million times and he "unburies" it and just hangs out in it lol. Must be like a massage or something! (Where can I get one for my size??? LOL!)

Lol, I'll be sure to keep you updated on how he is doing. When I start getting the tank set up I think I'll do a build thread. Yeah I have MTS, I have 6 tanks right now and I'll be getting two more this week (hopefully) as well as another one in a month or so and a huge 180G tank for christmas (again hopefully). I'll have 10 tanks by the new year, woohoo!

I just found a 35 tall on craigslist 2 miles away for free, I know where I am going in the morning, First one to call, not even listed for 10 minutes.

LOL! I think we are all crazy. I am suprised there are any fish left for sale since we have bought them all! HAHAHA! Awesome!

Nice catch Devil. The 55 and 38 gallons are about an hour and a half away, but I need to drive there to get my laptop fixed anyways, so might as well pick up two free tanks.

Back
Top Bottom