Stocking options for 15g Column Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So right off the bat, I am very well aware that many or even most stocking options will not work in this tank. In the future I will someday upgrade to a larger tank, but for now this is what I have and what I would like to stock. Thanks!

So my cycled freshwater tank is 13.5" square by 23" high and is heated with a Aqueon 100w Heater and filtered with a Marineland Penguin 150 filter (rated for 20g)

It has a Flourite Clay substrate, planted with 1 Java Fern(on driftwood), 2 Amazon Swords, 1 Anubias(on driftwood), and some Dwarf Hairgrass.

I also use a bubble wall to make sure there is plenty of oxygen in all parts of the column. However with the new Marineland filter, this might be too much now and I worry about it (would love to hear opinions on this too).

I AM OPEN TO ANY STOCKING OPTIONS and would love to hear suggestions of any kind! However please note, I have 3 Amano shrimp in there and of course would prefer something compatible with them if possible! Thank you everyone!!!

2-3 dwarf pea puffers. IMG_0258.jpg

This is my 9 gallon Biube and my puff Igor. He’s in here with 3 Amanos that keep the algae down.

2-3 dwarf pea puffers. View attachment 312265

This is my 9 gallon Biube and my puff Igor. He’s in here with 3 Amanos that keep the algae down.

Love the tank, looks beautiful! I thought about Pea Puffers myself, but I was worried about them grabbing the shrimp. However on the plus side I love the fact that they take care of snail populations, great suggestion thanks! I will keep it in mind based on your experiences.

You could put a dwarf gourami in the tank.you could put a small group of corydoras. You could put some zebra danios. You could put in a school of some sort of barb (cherry barb, gold barb, rosy barb). You could put in some platies.those are just some options to think about.

You could put a dwarf gourami in the tank.you could put a small group of corydoras. You could put some zebra danios. You could put in a school of some sort of barb (cherry barb, gold barb, rosy barb). You could put in some platies.those are just some options to think about.

I am deeply considering dwarf gourami or male betta as a center piece with maybe 2-3 Pygmy Corydoras. My main question with the Corydoras being a more social fish, would 2-3 be ok? Also with the tank being a column shape, I am concerned about having fish that need a lot of swim space and require a sizable schools such as Danios. So my question for that would be, can I properly accommodate Danios and Barbs? Thanks again for the suggestion and hopefully the feedback!

I would recommend having at least 3 coryforas. Zebra danios could be in smalll grouos and so could most barbs. You could have 4 danios and 4 barbs.

Many of the Tetras and Danios like swimming room horizontally, in a wider tank. Although the tank size is adequate the width isn't ideal.

I would recommend a group of 6 Pygmy (Pygmaeus) Cories. Or either of the other popular dwarf Cories, Habrosus also known as Salt and Pepper or Checker Cories (not Peppered Cories - different type though look similar) or Hastatus aka Tail Spot or Black Diamond.

Many names, 3 types.

Do you happen to have a good lfs? Dwarf Cories are often available.

Although I haven't had them, Sparkling Gourami
are often recommended for small tanks.

Pea Puffers are interesting.

Check out some Micro fish.
They have some specific conditions or requirements.

Boraras Brigttae
Boraras maculatus
Boraras Merah
Here is a guide in case you are interested in them
https://msjinkzd.com/news/which-boraras-do-you-really-have-a-pictorial-guide/

Sundadanio Axelrodi - Need special conditions.

Love the tank, looks beautiful! I thought about Pea Puffers myself, but I was worried about them grabbing the shrimp. However on the plus side I love the fact that they take care of snail populations, great suggestion thanks! I will keep it in mind based on your experiences.

I was surprised he didn’t nip the shrimp when I first got them they were small. But he has left them alone.

Back
Top Bottom