Question about fish cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Royalfish101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey fish people, I would like to know a question on fish cycle.

I have bought a fish tank off gumtree , 260 Lwhich had been running a community fish tank, I did not want the fish so the women took all the fish out for me to pick it up. I did ask for her to not clean filter. By time I picked up the fish tank the filter had been unplugged for a week,

My question is will my bacteria still be a live and how long will the fish cycle take?

I have already started off the fishless water cycle by adding pure ammonia which I thought that you should know that information.

Note: I have been running my fish tank for two days and have water tested here are my results-

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia 1.0
Ph 7.4

I have also tested my tap water and it's 10 nitrate, hope you can help me.

Thanks

First off, I see this is your first post. Welcome!

To answer your questions though, your bacteria is undoubtedly dead. Sorry, but a week without running is just too long being dry. As to how long the cycling will last, it could last from a couple weeks if all goes flawlessly to a month or two if you end up having to start over or getting particularly tricky parameters in your water. Really each time you cycle is different. I've had cycling pretty much that did itself and others that I gave up and started over because I couldn't figure out what went wrong with it.

To answer your questions though, your bacteria is undoubtedly dead. Sorry, but a week without running is just too long being dry. As to how long the cycling will last, it could last from a couple weeks if all goes flawlessly to a month or two if you end up having to start over or getting particularly tricky parameters in your water. Really each time you cycle is different. I've had cycling pretty much that did itself and others that I gave up and started over because I couldn't figure out what went wrong with it.

Thank you for your reply this could be stupid response but the filter did have water in so it was not dry but I guess that still does not mean much?

To answer your questions though, your bacteria is undoubtedly dead. Sorry, but a week without running is just too long being dry.
First welcome also.
Without any proof(links I love them) ,
I respectfully disagree!
Although one can never call out how long a cycle may take and I agree every tank and water supply is different,
I am under the belief that the BB can go dormant and survive dry spells among other 'natural events'(like seasons).

I'll bet you tank cycles pretty quickly!

Your test result(parameters) don't mean a real lot with out knowing how much ammonia(ppm) you added how long before the test.
The nitrate in your water supply is suspicious IMO.

First welcome also.
I respectfully disagree!
Although one can never call out how long a cycle may take and I agree every tank and water supply is different,
I am under the belief that the BB can go dormant and survive dry spells among other 'natural events'(like seasons).

I'll bet you tank cycles pretty quickly!

Your test result(parameters) don't mean a real lot with out knowing how much ammonia(ppm) you added how long before the test.
The nitrate in your water supply is suspicious IMO.
Thank you for your reply sorry I'm posting this thread with my phone so it takes me forever and what do you mean without proof

I still don't understand nitrate reading as well:/

How much ammonia did you dose?
The nitrates in your water supply will be an issue IMO?
By not having proof I mean I can offer no link to support my opinion(I usually have a few),as like to not offer bad advice.
That being said I am confident in my previous post.
You should cycle quickly .

Ah, well since it wasn't dry like I thought you meant that changes things quite a bit. It should be still alive then. It might have taken a hit but that's hard to tell since we don't have microscope eyes, lol. Knowing how much you dosed would go a long way in telling if how soon the bacteria should bounce back.

First welcome also.
I respectfully disagree!

Maybe BB can do that but I've never seemed to be able to bring any back after it's been dried out a few days. Maybe I'm just unlucky, lol. I wouldn't discount it. But it's apparently a moot point anyhow.

Most conduct the 'fishless' cycle by adding 'x' ammonia.
The x = ppm reading you are choosing.
My fishless cycle method say to dose aquarium until the ammonia test reads 4ppm
Others use 3 or 2 ppm to conduct cycle.
I can not tell from drops of ammonia in tank your ppm or how much you thought you added?

How long after you added ammonia did you do the test that said 1ppm ammonia?

I added the ammonia and waited for day then tested the water and it came up as 1ppm. I then added more ammonia because I wanted a least 2ppm. I only really just realised that I had 0 nitrite. 20 nitrate .and obviously the ammonia was reading was due to me putting ammonia in the tank. I'm just kind of lost does that mean it's cycled?

Not 100% cycled yet IMO.
The tank should process the ammonia(should be 2-4ppm) in 24 hrs.
Don't add more ammonia for a couple days or until it reaches 0 IMO.

Not 100% cycled yet IMO.
The tank should process the ammonia(should be 2-4ppm) in 24 hrs.
Don't add more ammonia for a couple days or until it reaches 0 IMO.

Thank you for the help very much appreciated. Do you think I should do some tests now and see what's going on?

My fishless cycle instructions say 'dose 1/2 the volume of ammonia every fourth day after nitrites register'.
Since have nitrAtes I just count them IMO as I have seen many tanks fishless cyce without ever registering nitrites.
You are close IMO.
You can test the ammonia.
If it is 0 then dose back up to 2 or 4ppm and test daily after.
If ammonia is 0 then test for nitrites just to be sure.
Once cycle is complete you should do large water change to lower nitrates to acceptable level.

Hello, yes the Bandit is correct. Once you get your 4ppm of ammonia to spike, and wait for the nitrates and nitrites to spike your almost there, lucky you still have seeding material and it will move fast for you. I had just completed my first fishless cycle and it was very challenging , but I got some seedings, from plants from my Aquarium and it sped up the process. If you do this type of cycling it will take patience and regular testing of your ammonia as it will drop off the next day , keep feeding the ammonia until , the nitrates and nitrites hit the highest on your test chart, once your ph drops water change 50%, then check your tester and you start seeing the results and continue adding the ammonia because it will drop to 3-4 ppm to feed your nitrates and nitrites .When the you notice drops in the pH and the nitrites and ammonia, water changes again , your almost there!
If I had missed anything, anyone can correct me. Just trying to share an experience that has helped me to better understand water quality and preparation.[emoji1] it worked for me and my fish are happy , and my filter is strong and handles my Aquarium well , just when you add in fish stock , add them in in groups not all at once, and test water quality daily for the first week or so.

Good luck ,
Clem

Thank you for the response I just tested my ammonia and it's 4.0 my nitrite is still 0 what do you guys recommend now.

Thank you for the response I just tested my ammonia and it's 4.0 my nitrite is still 0 what do you guys recommend now.
I'm not sure how to send you the link for fishless cycle, but its on the AA forum , just look it up and have a read. That's what I used , but to dose the ammonia to proper levels, increase it just add another capful or two until it reads 4ppm. My tank is a 90 gal , and it took 4 capfulls. It depends on your tank size, just make the adjustments as you go you will get there ! It's pretty straight forward, but you will need to do a lot of water changes in the mean time as your beneficial bacteria grows, your fish will love you and limits death and disease for them .I'd recommend to read this about cycling water , to fully understand.[emoji622]

Clem.

I'm not sure how to send you the link for fishless cycle, but its on the AA forum , just look it up and have a read. That's what I used , but to dose the ammonia to proper levels, increase it just add another capful or two until it reads 4ppm. My tank is a 90 gal , and it took 4 capfulls. It depends on your tank size, just make the adjustments as you go you will get there ! It's pretty straight forward, but you will need to do a lot of water changes in the mean time as your beneficial bacteria grows, your fish will love you and limits death and disease for them .I'd recommend to read this about cycling water , to fully understand.[emoji622]

Clem.
I understand what you saying but I got reading of 4.0 ammonia and no nitrite what so ever and from my last test I ready got nitrate in my tank so I'm just a bit confused where I'm in the cycle.

I understand what you saying but I got reading of 4.0 ammonia and no nitrite what so ever and from my last test I ready got nitrate in my tank so I'm just a bit confused where I'm in the cycle.
Your readings will be off at first. Patient my friend, that's the process of building your BB in the filter, if you have seeding and you do give it a few days , and keep the ammonia levels up. You will see a spike in nitrates, and when you notice drops in the ammonia, keep up to 4 ppm because the nitrites will becoming up eventually , your almost there . when the nitrates and nitrites spike up fully your almost there, change the water and check the pH level once it shows a drop , change the water and test regularly because each time you change the water it buffers it and eventually your tank will cycle , and its fish time!!![emoji1]

Clem.

Back
Top Bottom