Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Guienevere22 Send a message via Yahoo to Guienevere22
question about my gravel cleaner

I just bought a mini aquarium gravel cleaner and I put it together and went to use it, but the instructions don't tell me how to get the syphoning started. It doesn't say that its a self-siphon type of cleaner like some that I looked at in the store. I have a small tank, only 1 and 3/4 gallons of water. That's why I bought the mini cleaner. Is it still too big and that's why it won't work?

Thanks!
Lauren

Old 03-21-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Does the large diameter portion stick out of the water? It may be difficult to start a siphon if that is the case. To help, the connection where the hose fits to the large diameter pipe must be absolutely air tight. You need to pull water through the pipe and hose (no air bubbles) until the water has gone over the top of the tank and is well on the way to the bucket, then it will work.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think she means is the pump too small, what you do is put the whole thing under water until there are no more air bubbles, then put your thumb over the end that goes into the bucket, pull it out, put it into the bucket, and let go. This will do it, if Mark answered your question disregard this
Old 03-21-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I will try that to get it going thanks so much!

Lauren
Old 03-21-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem... if that doesnt work there are other ways
Old 03-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay, I have another question, but it doesn't concern my gravel cleaner. I am having a problem with the level of ammonia in my tank. I did a 25% water change and the water that I added had 0ppm of ammonia and a pH of 7.0. I also used a product called Ammo Lock to try to reduce the levels. The levels are still high. Is there anything else I can do? And, does anyone know how often you can use Ammo Lock in your tank? I know I'm full of questions tonight. Thanks for all your help!

Lauren
Old 03-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Depending on what kind of test you're using, the Ammo Lock can cause a false reading. If the ammonia reagent that came in the kit says "Nessler reagent" on the bottle, you will get a false reading. With Ammo Lock, unless I am mistaken, the ammonia is still present...it is just bonded to some other molecule and rendered inert. Also, if your ammonia is very high, a 25% water change may not be enough to make a big difference. If you had a concentration of 4ppm, and you changed 25% of the water, you'd still have a 3ppm concentration. Don't forget also...you still have a nitrite spike to contend with after the ammonia is under control. This will take longer as the bacteria that processes nitrite grows at about 1/2 the rate of the bacteria that controls the ammonia. I think, and you'll need to verify this with someone else, that you can get a correct ammonia reading by using a salicylate type test kit...not sure I spelled that right, but it's close. Perhaps the LFS could test it for you and save you a few $.
Logan J
Old 03-21-2003, 10:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I went to my LFS today and they recommended something to reduce the ammonia that goes in the tube of my under gravel filter, but they were all out and none of the other LFS have anything that will fit my filter. They said they should have some on Wednesday of next week, but I'm afraid that's too long. Do you think my fish will make it until Wednesday? Is it too soon for me to do another water change?

Lauren
Old 03-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just wanted to add that my ammonia tester is the Nessler one you were talking about. It says in the paper that came with the test kit that if you use Ammo Lock, it will still test positive for ammonia.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:08 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You may have to do a small change every day to keep the levels below lethal. It's tough in a smaller tank because things can change so quickly. I would start testing for nitrite very soon if not now.
Logan J
Old 03-22-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with just doing a small water change every now and then, help you out millions.

Tags
clean, cleaner, gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com