question about PRIME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you asking if you can add Prime, then add water? Yes... Just remember to use the dosage for the entire tank volume, not just what you're putting in

Prime is the only conditioner I will use now, mainly because its good, it lasts 5x longer than the same size bottle of most other conditioners, is cheap, and has never caused me any problems. Just sayin :)

"What type of steak would you like?"
"Prime."

You won't attract girls like that, my friend. I used to use Aqua Safe I have since switched to prime as it is MUCH cheaper and has a lot of extra features. And yes, as stated above, you can just add it to the water. No premixing required.

good idea.... you need less of it so it goes longer unlike some of the other ones out there where in a larger tank you need half a bottle.

i got a question, i was using Nutrafin Aquaplus before and now that i switched to Seachem Prime, should i do a major water change ??? or it doesnt matter

It shouldn't matter. Most of whatever you've used before has probably reacted with what it was supposed to and/or denatured.

Does Prime still smell like ****? I've used it in the past, and the smell from the bottle was...not so great.

I like StressCoat...smells fresh!!!

Why do you need to add enough to treat the whole tank volume and not just the water being added?

Love PRIME. Smells of sulphur, but just keep your nose away!

THX G

Are you asking if you can add Prime, then add water? Yes... Just remember to use the dosage for the entire tank volume, not just what you're putting in

Prime is the only conditioner I will use now, mainly because its good, it lasts 5x longer than the same size bottle of most other conditioners, is cheap, and has never caused me any problems. Just sayin :)

I'm wondering what mfdrookie meant. "dosage for the entire tank"

Why do you need to add enough to treat the whole tank volume and not just the water being added?

Love PRIME. Smells of sulphur, but just keep your nose away!

THX G

Example...

10G tank, 50% change.

If you only add Prime for the 5G water volume, it's dilluted into 10G and is effectively cut in half as far as efficacy. Better to overdose (safe to 5x) rather than under dose.

But what if people use buckets to fill the water and use prime directly in the bucket before pouring it in to the tank?

But what if people use buckets to fill the water and use prime directly in the bucket before pouring it in to the tank?

My bottle says 5mL per 50G of NEW water. So they are not recommending treating the whole tank.

Since it is a chemical reaction, what matters is that there are enough molecules in the dose for the molecules in the water that need to be detoxified. The Prime is diluted, but so is the water. In this case, treating the volume of new water would work.

But if you are trying to detoxify ammonia in the tank, then go with the volume of the tank.

It is only a guide, because otherwise, they would need to give you a complicated formula requiring you to calculate the concentration of ammonia or chlorine in order to get you the proper dose.

IMHO
G

Back
Top Bottom