Question about WPG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks J, from everything I've read, I figured as much.
Can you give me the short version on why c02 is necassary over 2 wpg?
Thx,
dave

Because intense light drives the plants to grow very rapidly. This in turn causes them to use all the available nutrients more rapidly, including CO2. The only plant life that's real good at thriving with little CO2 is algae.

I just got it this week and I'm in the process of pieceing it together and checking for leaks. I got my filters & heaters today, substrate will be here tomorrow.
Now on to the c02 :)
Thx,
Dave

Oh this is great. I ordered 120 lbs of Eco Complete last week. They shipped 120 lbs of cichlid something. I reordered it this week and they shipped 100 lbs of cichlid something.. again !

:evil:

Dave

Thats a bummer Dave, this mix up with shipping must be the fish gods way of telling you to buy another tank for cichlids. LOL!

Seriously though...regarding why you need CO2 over a certain level of light intensity. It has to do with growth limitations and Liebigs Law of the Minimum...or said in easy terms, choosing the factor that when it becomes the limiting growth factor won't encourage algae. Plant Guru's like Tom Barr help many people discover that if plant growth is limited by not having ample CO2 then algal issues are soon to follow. Likewise, if any of the 16 other essential elements become the limiting growth factor then algal issues are soon to follow. However, if CO2 and all the other micro and macro nutrients are in ample supply and lighting becomes the limiting growth factor then algal issue never arise.

To summarize, to have a healthy algae free tank you must balance the CO2 (actually carbon) demands of the tank based on the light intensity. Too much light and CO2 will be used faster than it can be diffused at the water surface...plants stall, algae can fix carbon from bicarbonate easier than plants and you end up with conditions that favor algae, not plants.

Back
Top Bottom