Question on mixing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pam is here

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tin foil barb that is 5-6 inches. He has outgrown my 40 gallon tank. Would it be ok to put him in my 55 gallon tank of cichlids that are in between 3-4 inch fish? My 55 g tank has 11 cichlids in it. Thanks

Your 55 is, or will be overstocked with 11 cichlids when full grown. the tinfoil needs the minimum of a 75. A 6ft tank would be even better.

foster53 said:
Your 55 is, or will be overstocked with 11 cichlids when full grown. the tinfoil needs the minimum of a 75. A 6ft tank would be even better.

It all depends on what cichlids they have?

I wouldn't do it IMO, just a bad idea and your gonna be overstocked and they get big and carry a huge bio load. Not worth it IMHO. Can you re home it?

Thanks so much for the info. The info I received on a different thread stated that if anything I was under stocked on my 55 g tank. 13-16 was lightly stocked and cichlids it's best stock well. So I guess I'm a little confused. I'm not ready to by a 75 g tank for a 5-6 inch fish at this time. But thanks so much. I will it work out, maybe take it back to the fish store if they will take him back.

This was in response to stocking my 55 g tank

To answer your question
16-18 lightly stocked
19-21 medium
21-24 heavily stocked

This was in response to stocking my 55 g tank

To answer your question
16-18 lightly stocked
19-21 medium
21-24 heavily stocked

These numbers would be appropriate a 125 gallon. 11Cichlids, either SA, or Africans that grow to 5-6" will be overstocked in a 55 imo

foster53 said:
These numbers would be appropriate a 125 gallon. 11Cichlids, either SA, or Africans that grow to 5-6" will be overstocked in a 55 imo

11x5=55! Inch per gallon rule lol. I'M JUST KIDDING!

Back
Top Bottom