Question..which has been found to be toughest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
(this was a double post..now I can use it! HEh!)

What has been found to be more difficult?

1) Softening the water to a lower pH
or
2)Hardening the water.

And what is harder to work against?
(A)No buffers or
(B) High buffers?

I notice that advice is often given that one can change the pH. But how easy is it really with out a good steady method and some nice system pieces?
And does filtration method impact this very much?
Or heavy plants?

It is much easier to make soft water hard than it is to make hard water soft, no doubt about it. In an effort to make it harder, you will buffer the water, and stabilize the pH.

No buffers are so tricky and require constant attention.

You can easily put some crushed coral or oyster shell in your filter (I have found this to work much better than having it in the substrate) to harden your water, and to increase the buffering capacity in a planted tank, since if you are using CO2 it will keep the pH on the low side.

This is a very important issue and I am looking forward to the responses!

*agrees*

Its easier to add something to the water to make it harder, then to remove it and make it softer.

That is a good to know..

]You always see someone say "well, you'd have to lower it"..or "you would need to raise it." But no other things that may affect it are mentioned....got me ta wonderin..

I have soft acidic water for the most part though my kh went down recently..hmmm. Odd thing.
Anyway it is a thing most people picking fish to suit them rather than their water must have answered. :)

I know I have read threads about KH going down in mature tanks and I am not sure how the more acidic tank will cause the KH to reduce, but if you take some tank water in a cup, leave it overnight for the CO2 to outgas, then test the KH again, and if it is higher than your regular tank reading then you know it is the CO2 or driftwood or peat doing it.

But no matter what is causing it, the solution is to increase water changes with your tap water, which we will assume has a higher KH.

Back
Top Bottom