Quick Lighting Question.. got the itch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been reading the recent threads on lighting and now im thinking about upgrading too !!! but i have a few questions first.

I know the next step would be to go to a CF . But, should I buy the strip? Can I buy just the bulb? Whats the deal with the 50/50 ? I read that they are really meant for saltwater. I guess the objective here is to make the tank and fish colors more vibrant and better looking.. and if the fish get a benefit from it too..woohoo!

Oh I have the standard all-glass hood. Any ideas , answers are much appreciated.

Hey Joe - 50/50 is half CF and half actinic. The actinic gives off a nice blue light and does improve the colors of your tank inhabitants (LFS use them most of the time). They are used by SW folks for corals and other invertebrates.

If you have the normal two-pin flourescent strip, you can definitely purchase bulbs that are adaptable to it.

Bigalsonline.com has quite a selection.

thanks for quck response.. 50/50 sounds good to me. I'm gonna make sure I have the 2-pin and see what I can get on bigals.. double vip points tomorrow ;)

Jchillin the 2pin adaptable florescent CF bulbs.. what is the T value on those and were would you look for them on bigalsonline? Do they have a slightly higher wattage level than normal florescents?

CF bulbs...never seen them with a 2-pin adapter. I think you may have mis-interpreted Jchillin. I think he meant there were lots of useful NO fluorescents out there that have a partial actinic spectrum to improve fish coloration.

Back
Top Bottom