rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpchin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just started with rainbow fish a few months ago in my community tank. they are super fish. very active and they really color up after a few months. also great community fish as they are not aggressive at all even though they are pretty large fish. here are a few pictures. :flowers:
36993-albums13605-picture64513.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64509.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64496.jpg

36993-albums13605-picture64495.jpg

Beautiful!!!
I have Boesemani's, a bit more common I know. But I just love them, they are such interesting fish.

Beautiful!!!
I have Boesemani's, a bit more common I know. But I just love them, they are such interesting fish.

Can I ask if you need to keep them in a school or anything else? How big do they get? I like the look but still hunting for them over here.

Can I ask if you need to keep them in a school or anything else? How big do they get? I like the look but still hunting for them over here.
Yes they are schooling. We had 5 but there were not enough females so we upped to 6 and that improved their dynamic.
They get pretty big, I want to say 4" or so.
They are an active mids fish and need a 4ft long tank (like 120cm) to have enough room to swim.
I believe that the rainbows that the Op has, the Turquoise type and the red type, get to a similar size and have similar needs.
I think you can school different similarly-sized rainbows together, such as having boesemani's and turquoise together, but you shouldn't let them interbreed.

When you say hunting for them, do you mean collecting from the wild?

When you say hunting for them, do you mean collecting from the wild?

I'm guessing most likely no he or she is not collecting them from the wild. He or she is looking(hunting) for them in pet shops and can't find any.

Yes they are schooling. We had 5 but there were not enough females so we upped to 6 and that improved their dynamic.
They get pretty big, I want to say 4" or so.
They are an active mids fish and need a 4ft long tank (like 120cm) to have enough room to swim.
I believe that the rainbows that the Op has, the Turquoise type and the red type, get to a similar size and have similar needs.
I think you can school different similarly-sized rainbows together, such as having boesemani's and turquoise together, but you shouldn't let them interbreed.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking they were an inch long lol, must be a smaller fish I had them confused with.

i've got 6 rainbows in my FW tank, and love them. This tank will eventually be converted to a SW tank for seahorses, but I want to start up another large tank so I can keep a group of rainbows, they're amazing...

I really advise not getting them from the wild. They are very hard to maintain in aquaria then because they are completely used to perfect water conditions and tons of food. It is hard to mimic these conditions in the aquaria.

I really advise not getting them from the wild. They are very hard to maintain in aquaria then because they are completely used to perfect water conditions and tons of food. It is hard to mimic these conditions in the aquaria.
So is it bad I have a tank fully of rainbows bony brim yabbies yellow belly and cod from the creek in my paddock? I'm worried.

As long as you can mimic their natural environment well you are fine

I have 5 red irians as the center piece in my 55 gallon, they have fast become my favorite fish. Very active, and shoal nicely.

I have 12 Threadfin Rainbows in my 75 gallon and I love them! They don't have as much color as your Turquoise ones, but they have really cool fin-flicking displays. Definitely adds a lot of interesting activity :)

Back
Top Bottom