Rainbow fish and peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you drop peas into a tank with rainbows? Their mouth is so tiny I assume they would just bite off small bits if any but I didn't want to take any chances of them choking.

Thanks!
Jana

Yes but what I do for mine is I de shell and mash the peas so it is easier for them to eat.

Any omnivore/herbivore fish can have peas.

Fresh or frozen is best, not canned. I usually pull a few out at super(or you can microwave them real quick). Basically you want to warm em up a bit if frozen or make em soft if they are fresh. Then shell them and offer small bits. They sink so I usually just tear off little bits and offer them to my fish. I have neons, platy, rasbora and a dwarf gourami which have no issues with this.

BTW, I have kept a lot of rainbowfish, and have fed them peas ... in the style suggested by others on this thread. I also fed them a lot of dried seaweed (nori). Most rainbows do not do well on a high meaty protein diet.

Tony

There is always nori in my house. Do you recommend that I crush it into flakes about the size of fish flakes?

You can crush it up, but larger rainbows will have no trouble tearing up a piece (not a whole sheet) of nori into smaller bits. In my last rainbow tank, I had about 30 adult rainbows, and would feed them a piece of nori about 4x4 inches each day.

Tony

Cool, I will implement this soon. Will neons, Bolivian Rams and an angel fish eat nori to?

The rams and angels will probably pick at it a bit. One thing I forgot to mention, make sure you are using plain rather than seasoned nori.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom