Ram cichlid compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinkel2006

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I'm just about to change my tank to a ram cichlid tank. Its a 29 gallon well established tank. So far I am planning to do 3 rams (1 male and 2 females) along with 5 neon tetras, and 1 albino bristlenose pleco. I was also considering 1 african dwarf frog and 1 male betta but was unsure on how compatible these two would be with each other and the rams or if a dwarf gourami would be a better choice. Also is the ratio of males to females for rams good for if I am interested in breeding them later on.

Thanks

those little fellas are pretty compatible with a lot of fish, but as for the frog i dont know ^_^ i am also planning to add 1 bolivian ram to my 20g high with a couple of shrimp and 1 gourami =]

I would not mix the rams and the betta. Rams are colorful fish with rather large fins, and while they're generally tough enough to stand up to a betta, the betta might pick a fight he can't win.

As for the frogs, you can try it, but anything small enough to fit in a fish's mouth, will go in the fish's mouth.

What do you think about having a female betta instead of a male since they are less aggressive?

It all depends on the fish. I would be worried about the rams going after the betta. They get aggressive when they are spawning. Also, if it was me, I would do two pairs of rams instead. Just make sure they have enough room for seperate territories. Also, if you do frogs, don't you need land for them to go on as well?

Back
Top Bottom