Ready to stock - opinions welcomed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j2112j

Aquarium Advice Activist
36 gallon bowfront (30"x15"x21")
400 gph filtration (2 hobs)
lightly planted (java moss, hornwort - later anubias, anacharis)

I will get my stock from a lfs a few blocks away (walking).
The store will order and keep them for 1 week on reserve, which I hope will mean they are settled in and healthy.

So here is what I would like after alot of research.
6-8 Barbs (Tiger, green moss, black ruby)
6-8 Harlequin Rasbora
4 panda corydora
And perhaps a few otocinclus a few months down the road.

The guys at the lfs don't like this idea lol.
I let them know I was aware of barb aggression, and they seemed a little more at ease when I mentioned keeping them in large enough numbers, but they still say barbs are meant for species only tanks.

It seems opinions are 50/50 on mixing them with other fish.

So questions I have...
1. will the 3 barbs I mentioned be considered a school ?
2. If you have experience with barbs, is it accucrate that tigers are more aggressive than the green moss ? And the green moss more than the Black rubies ?

The lfs has told me, if the barbs start nipping, I can return the harlequins and cory's, but not the barbs. And I won't get full credit if I return any. (The owner hates barbs, as he told me so many times lol).

I really have to get my stock from this lfs, I have no other choices locally.

Anyways, advice/opinions/barb horror stories welcome :D

I have 12 tiger barbs, 6 albino and 6 regulars and they don't nip at all. They do school together. As for mixing the other barbs I'm not sure. If the look sorta alike I don't see why they wouldn't. But I dont think they will attack your other 2 inhabitants anyways honestly. They usually stay in the middle so I don't see them attack the cories, which are bottom dwellers. The harlequins are very active and fast so if there is any sort of aggression it will be towards them.

All the fish you want need to be in groups. The harlequins should be kept in groups or 6 or more as well as the barbs and the cories do best in larger groups too, I do have 4 cories and they seem happy as can be but I wouldn't get less than three of them. Hope this helps.

Thanks Tracey, I appreciate that.

I've since found that green moss are morphs of Tigers, and will school, or at least accept each other. One other source lists black rubies as being a product of tiger and green moss interbreeding. Makes sense to me though how the offspring wind up red and black in colour I wonder.

I've chosen the harlequins because they are in the same family as barbs, and I hope large and fast enough if they feel any threat.

I like your choice on the Barbs ... especially the green barbs which are my favorite ... although I'm becoming more fond of my 3 Black Rubies. I'd say 6 Barbs should be your minimum to curtail aggressive nipping. I have 14 Barbs and they pretty much chase each other, so my Blue Gourami if left alone and freely swims throughout the tank.

Here's an option for you.

I have five banded barbs in a community tank, and they're just fine with other fish. They also look somewhat similar to tiger barbs. Research that fish; perhaps it could be a better option?

Funny James in MN mentioned the Five Banded Barb as that is the next Barb I'm looking to add. Don't forget about the Albino Barbs IMO they make a nice contrast to the regular TigerBarb

I like your choice on the Barbs ... especially the green barbs which are my favorite ... although I'm becoming more fond of my 3 Black Rubies. I'd say 6 Barbs should be your minimum to curtail aggressive nipping. I have 14 Barbs and they pretty much chase each other, so my Blue Gourami if left alone and freely swims throughout the tank.
That is good news, thanks very much.

James, thank you too. I had researched most barbs and though the 5 banded barbs grew to be much larger than the 3 I was looking at ? I could easily be mistaken though and will have another look.

Thanks eveyone

j2112j said:
James, thank you too. I had researched most barbs and though the 5 banded barbs grew to be much larger than the 3 I was looking at ? I could easily be mistaken though and will have another look.

My five banded barbs are in a 20g high tank, so if they grow over 3 inches long, I'd be in a world of trouble. :eek:

Odessa Barbs can be very pretty and in my experience, aren't nearly as nippy as many other barbs. I think they're worth a look. If you don't mind larger (~5") fish in a smaller school, Rosy Barbs might do you well. I know someone who kept them in a pack of 3 and they were very peaceful.

I read that the largest scientifically measured Five Banded Barb was 3.5 inches ...
so hopefully James would not be in too much trouble ;-)

I read that the largest scientifically measured Five Banded Barb was 3.5 inches ...
so hopefully James would not be in too much trouble ;-)
I read that exact description last night aswell so adult size is not the problem thought they would be.
They do look cool, but I think I like the look of the Tigers more (they seem taller in the mid section). It is a viable option though, so thanks for the info.

Rokuzachi, thanks for the suggestion. I spent last evening checking many barbs out. I started eliminating anything that grew beyond 3 or 3.5 inches as I now have enough barb options to make things work I think.

I'll be placing my order this weekend, but won't expect to have them home till the 2nd week of May, assuming my cycle will be done by then.

Thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom