Really bad algae problems!! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TechnoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, so recently I set up a 20 Long Iwagumi and I decided to use a Finnex Ray 2 30". Filter is an Aquaclear 30. But... HOLY SH!T!!!! I have no idea what kind of algae this is but it's absolutely NASTY!!!! Yes, I'm working on arranging a Co2 system. I have the tank, diffuser, and tubing. But I still need to get a regulator. But anyway, I attached a photo so you can feel my pain... any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Image:

fdcfIwc

You can also get some Nerite Snails they do a good job at cleaning alot of types of algae. Be aware they are pooping machines!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long are you running your lights? Are you dosing ferts and a carbon supplement like Excel?

Finnex ray 2s are very high lighting.. Especially on a tank that's only 12" tall. My guess is your light is too strong and on too long, you really need that CO2 ASAP. In the mean time, try dropping the time your lights are on to only 5 hours a day.

Photo:

mhm....FEEL MY PAIN

Attachments

• IMG_9526.jpg
    IMG_9526.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 61
Well...

You can also get some Nerite Snails they do a good job at cleaning alot of types of algae. Be aware they are pooping machines!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a couple...They barely clean anything.

While you are waiting for your CO2, you can be dosing Excel or API CO2 Booster (glut). Start with a double dose for two days in a row, then go down to the regular dose. That should help tremendously. If you are going to use strong lights on a small tank, and you want them on for a good number of hours to see the fish, get floating plants to help block out some of the light. Salvinia works great for that.

I really don't have the money right now. I have flourish but not excel.

Then you'll have to cut your light down even further. Some water changes might help, too. You can buy Excel from Drs. Foster and Smith online for really cheap (compared to stores), by the way.

I'll be home today or Saturday. I'll do maybe a 40% change and try to vacuum the algae off the substrate

With that lighting you have to use a high dose of liquid carbon daily. You can buy a gallon of Metricide 14 Day Solution for around $27 shipped. It's twice the strength of Excel and API CO2 Booster. You need to be dosing 1ml Glut/liquid carbon for every 1 or 2 gallons of water daily.

You also are going to have to start dosing dry ferts so your plants get all the macro and micro nutrients they need. Dry ferts are cheap and last a long time. Run lighting a max of 6 hours or put some screen over the tank which cuts the lighting down. I successfully ran my 100% planted 220g very high light tank for well over a year using only liquid carbon before I added CO2. I kept lighting at 6 hours and had no algae issues. I dosed Glut at 1ml per 1 gallon of tank water.

If you get the Metricide 14 you can use half the amount if you use it straight or dilute it at a 1:1 ratio with RO or distilled water. Be sure to throw away the activator bottle that come with the Glut and if you dilute the Metricide 14 then be sure to store it in an opaque bottle. I actually saved and use old Excel bottles for this.

You can also spot treat the algae with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn off the filter, pull up 3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water and slowly squirt the algae. Leave the filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot of algae you might have to treat an area a day. Algae will usually start dying off within 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom