Recommendation on a QT/Breeding tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times, but I haven't had any luck doing searches... QT and Breeding come up too many times :)

I'm looking to setup a QT/Breeding tank in the event it's needed. Can you use one tank for both? Meaning one tank set up sufficiently for both? I don't really have the room for another tank to be set up 24/7, but can figure something out if needed. So I was thinking of getting a 10 or 20 gallon tank and keep the filter on my 75g so it's seeded for when I need the QT/Breeding tank.

Here's a few questions that come to mind.
Should I get a 10 or 20 gallon?
Will the HOB filter in a starter kit fit on the rim of a 75g all-glass?
For a breeding tank, does it need to be established? (up and running)?
If so, should I plant it?
Anyone know of any specials currently at Petsmart or Petco for a decent 10/20g kit?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Mog

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times, but I haven't had any luck doing searches... QT and Breeding come up too many times :)

I'm looking to setup a QT/Breeding tank in the event it's needed. Can you use one tank for both? Meaning one tank set up sufficiently for both? I don't really have the room for another tank to be set up 24/7, but can figure something out if needed. So I was thinking of getting a 10 or 20 gallon tank and keep the filter on my 75g so it's seeded for when I need the QT/Breeding tank.

Anyone know of any specials currently at Petsmart or Petco for a decent 10/20g kit?

Mog

you coudl use the one for both but not at the same time. If you have breeders in there you dont want to put in a QT fish, and vise versa.

all you woudl need is a 10gallon, and yes it would need to be cycled or like you said have seeded filter to move over to it.

I wouldnt go crazy on plant but at least make it homey.

Gl to you! oh and one word of warning be carefull, often QT tanks become a tank you no longer want to endanger with QT fish ;)

*laughing* I was already thinking.... hmm... maybe cherry shrimp would be fitting for a qt/breeding tank... but that's all it would end up being, I'm sure :)

yup, my QT I purchased a 10gallon used tank, witheverything... I threw away the filter and put in my aquaclear10, and it came with guppies.... so now its sorta my guppy qt tank

Mog said:
Hi,

Mog

Here's how I did mine (DT & nursery are the same tank):

The first thing you need to figure out is the QT size, so figure out what your biggest fish is and have a tank that will house that fish, or if you have a pair then the 2 of them. Once you figure that out get a tank kit. Since you have a 75g tank take the filter from the kit (should fit) you get and put in service on your DT and just let it run (extra filtration is always good too :)).

When you need to QT, bring the tank out and fill it with 50% DT tank water, 50% dechlorinated tap. Take the seasoned filter off your DT put it on the QT and you're instantly cycled. I don't put any decco in my QT, but I do for my nursey tank (plants mainly).

Back
Top Bottom