Recycling tank today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael15

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today i am finally going out to buy some play sand and dirt for my aquarium. Im going to cycle the tank with just the dirt in it and the sand will be put in when I go and buy the plants. To cycle the tank I am using the same filter media and 2 goldfish or maybe 2 convicts.:D I'm getting closer to 1 of 3 my dream tanks

Cycling a Tank With Fish

Today i am finally going out to buy some play sand and dirt for my aquarium. Im going to cycle the tank with just the dirt in it and the sand will be put in when I go and buy the plants. To cycle the tank I am using the same filter media and 2 goldfish or maybe 2 convicts.:D I'm getting closer to 1 of 3 my dream tanks

Hello mike...

If you're using fish, then use fish that will have the best chance of surviving the cycle. Rasboras, Guppies, Platys, White Clouds, Zebra Danios or Rosy Barbs. These species are hardy and have no trouble dealing with the somewhat poor water conditions that happen during the process. The others are likely to go "belly up" half way through it.

Make sure you do your research on the "nitrogen cycle" before you start.

B

You really should cap with sand before you add water and just cycle with pure ammonia or fish. Dirt isn't going to cycle a tank properly, will very likely damage your filter, and will turn the tank into a big mud pit.

I thought that convict cichlids were hardy enough to withstand the cycling period.
You really should cap with sand before you add water and just cycle with pure ammonia or fish. Dirt isn't going to cycle a tank properly, will very likely damage your filter, and will turn the tank into a big mud pit.
this does seem a bit easier another thing is should I add plants in the dirt than add sand or add the dirt and then the sand and last add plants?

I thought that convict cichlids were hardy enough to withstand the cycling period. this does seem a bit easier another thing is should I add plants in the dirt than add sand or add the dirt and then the sand and last add plants?

Plants last. Do about 1" of dirt, 2" of sand, add water using a plate or bowl to stop from stirring up the sand, then add plants very last.

Back
Top Bottom