red eye tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomoisawatergod

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have 6 beautiful red eyes. They are the only fish in my tank. On purchase I did not realise that they can be an aggressive fish. What recommendations are there for tank mates??

Thanks

Often with slightly more aggressive schooling fish if you have a large enough school any aggression stays within the school. Depending on the size of your tank be sure to put other similar type aggressive fish in with them. Many barbs would work, possibly a gourami. I wouldn't do any angels. Many loaches would be fine. What is the size of your tank?

I believe my tank is about 40 gal (that's me roughly working it out). Really need to work it out properly. Do you think it would pay to get more red eyes before getting any more fish? So their school is bigger? Also I would like to get some corydoras. Since they Are ground dwellers?

IMO adding 2-4 more wouldn't hurt unless you don't like the look of them. How long is your tank? Cory's would do fine as would a group of loaches. I think one of the bigger opaline gourami's would work. One of my favorite tetras are Diamond tetra's. I have 12 and they grow big enough I don't think the Red Eye's would bother them. Also Hatchetfish might work.

I also have a school of 6 red eye tetras, 3 cories, and usually 3-6 ghost shrimp in a sparsely planted aquarium and it is a peaceful environment. If you're worried about aggression, cories would be perfect because 1 they are tough and 2 they are mostly bottom dwellers. I would recommend pandas cories as I believe i saw an underwater vid of the Negra river and saw red eye tetras and what I think were panda cories...who knows, they get along great for me. And with the size tank you have, you could get a nice little shoal of cories, all the same kind, and they will stick together like a pack of little puppies.

I really like the look of them. Which led me here. It seems now I have them I'm going to have to build the community around them. I think the panda corydoras are a very good idea. They are another fish I really like the look of. Though I will have to wait. Because around here they don't seem to be available to buy very often.

Where do u live? I'm in austin texas and there are multiple fish stores here that carry different kinds of corys

I have Peppered Corys, the ya are more common, your fish stores are more likely to have them, where are u?

I like in the UK. The particular place I live only has one fish shop in the area. With that it's not a particularly big one. I like the bronze and peppered variety of the corydoras. I have black gravel in my tank to. So they would be very visible.

Back
Top Bottom