Red Phantom Tetras: upper temp limit of 73?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barliman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

So, I had been considering Serpae tetras for the new tank, but decided they were a bit too aggressive for my tastes right now. So, I turned to another red tetra, Hyphesobrycon Sweglesi, the "Red Phantom Tetra." :dance:

Doing my research, I was surprised to read in Denaro and O'Leary's new book a recommended temperature range of 68-73 degrees.

Researching online, most sites recommended temps in the mid to upper 70s. A couple even gave a range into the very low 80s. My tank is set to 78. I could only find one site that gave the 68-73 recommendation (and I wonder if that's where the authors got their information).

Since that's well below the temps for other species I have in mind, I thought I'd inquire here: If you keep or have kept Red Phantoms, what temp did you keep them at? And does 73 strike you as low? :blink:

I keep black phantoms and that tank is set to 78. They've been in there far a year with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That sounds about right to me. Don't know why Red Phantoms, a closely related fish, would have such a difference.

They could be closely related taxonomicly but they are found in different areas which would explain why they need different water conditions. Red Phantoms can actually handle a wider temperature swing than Black Phantoms. Black Phantoms prefer mid to upper 70s while Red Phantoms can be found in water from the high 60s to upper 70s near 80 degrees. So comparing the two is not a fair comparison.
I also believe that most Black Phantoms in the trade are farm raised now while Reds in the U.S. are still wild caught. :whistle: Would need to confirm that before purchasing them IMO.

Back
Top Bottom