Redtail shark schooling with clown loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjtaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have a RedTail shark who for a lack of a better word is schooling with my 4 clown loaches. He deffinetly isn't chasing them or darting at them, he just swims around with and acts like he is one of them. Anyone else experience this? Or is this maybe his way of attacking them I just don't see it?

Hey Kjtaylor, I've read online before that Clown loaches also tend to school with other fish, I think its normal, how big is you tank?

Assuming your tank is big enough for all those residents as adults, then I definfitely say don't worry about it. :) Clown loaches do tend to be pretty social as far as I have seen, so if the rts is just swimming around with them, that doesn't sound like a problem. After all, the loaches will end up pretty big, so they should be able to take of themselves around the rts anyway. That sounds like a very attractive mix IMO.
Just to be safe, you should keep an eye out for injuries on the loaches or signs of harassment, but the combo should work out fine IMO.

I'm assuming your RTS is a juvenile? If so, I'd say enjoy it while it lasts, RTS's tend to get pretty territorially aggressive as they mature and that cute little "shark" starts to act like one when they get older .... just ask the TigerBarbs in my tank.:D

Well it's a 90g tank, the RedTail shark is still young but hopefully he stays peaceful. I just thought it was funny as he basically does everything the clown loaches do

90 gal is a nice size for an rts, just provide territories via caves, plants, DW, decor for it to claim and you should ok. You'll still need to keep an eye out, their aggression really picks up as they mature.

Redtail sharks are loaches so maybe he is trying to fit in with his cousins?

Woo first post!

Sorry, but rts are not loaches. They are not even in the same family.
I do agree that rts get nasty, but in a 90g tank, one should be good. Also, clown loaches get big, so I really wouldn't be too concerned about bullying issues (unless the clowns are still super tiny).
Keep us updated about how it goes, and remember that we all love pictures! ;)

Back
Top Bottom