Repashy Superfood...anyone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i found that my neon blue gobies that i just got would benefit from some Repashy Superfood "soilent green". Has anyone dealt with this food before? I am new to this brand and never heard of it before today

Repashy Superfoods Product Spotlight: Soilent Green (Aufwuchs replacement) | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd
51a6rRA53UL._SY450_.jpg

I have used this brand. I used the community mix and the meat pie mix. It is a good food. My guppies didn't take to it to well. My fry loved it though. Because it sinks, my guppies didn't bother with it. It starts to dissolve after a few hours, so if you put too much in, it may cloud your water slightly. You can pick bits off to feed the fish. If you have a gravel substrate, I would recommend pick small bits off the gel to feed because as it dissolves, it will sink through the gravel. It is very easy to make, 1 part powder, 3 parts boiled water. Leave to set for a few hours and it's ready to use. It lasts 2wks in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer. Also it sets very quick, about 30-60secs, so you need to pour it into a mold/container pretty quick!!. I would recommend to just make enough for a few days at a time. I would say to give it a try, your fish might love it.

I have used this brand. I used the community mix and the meat pie mix. It is a good food. My guppies didn't take to it to well. My fry loved it though. Because it sinks, my guppies didn't bother with it. It starts to dissolve after a few hours, so if you put too much in, it may cloud your water slightly. You can pick bits off to feed the fish. If you have a gravel substrate, I would recommend pick small bits off the gel to feed because as it dissolves, it will sink through the gravel. It is very easy to make, 1 part powder, 3 parts boiled water. Leave to set for a few hours and it's ready to use. It lasts 2wks in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer. Also it sets very quick, about 30-60secs, so you need to pour it into a mold/container pretty quick!!. I would recommend to just make enough for a few days at a time. I would say to give it a try, your fish might love it.

Trying it for the first time today myself. I've heard nothing but great things about this food. You can get a 4 oz bag off Amazon for $12 and that's supposed to last quite a while from what I've read depending on how many fish you have of course. Ted Judy has some great videos on YouTube about this food that you might want to check out.(y)

Trying it for the first time today myself. I've heard nothing but great things about this food. You can get a 4 oz bag off Amazon for $12 and that's supposed to last quite a while from what I've read depending on how many fish you have of course. Ted Judy has some great videos on YouTube about this food that you might want to check out.(y)

did you get the soilent green version? i would like to see the review on the food if possible from you once you "cooked" them up.

did you get the soilent green version? i would like to see the review on the food if possible from you once you "cooked" them up.

Yes, I have the Soilent Green version for my mbuna. It's in the fridge right now setting. If you do it, I recommend boiling the water in a kettle and not nuking it. People have complained that nuking it makes the house smell bad, I didn't have any issues with smell just by mixing boiling water with the powder. Hopefully I'll have information as to how the fish responded tonight since I fed them this morning already. Cooking it up was easier than making Jell-O in all honesty. 1 part powder, 3 parts boiling water. Easy.:cool:

I feed it on a dish. Keeps it accessible to my Shrimp. I was a Beta tester for all flavors. I got my club hooked on it as well. My friends Gobies LOVE Rapashy !!

you mentioned "my friends gobies", are you calling the gobies your friends or a hobbyist nicknamed Gobies? i would like a clarification because i'm considering getting this food for my freshwater gobies, aka stiphodons

I feed it on a dish. Keeps it accessible to my Shrimp. I was a Beta tester for all flavors. I got my club hooked on it as well. My friends Gobies LOVE Rapashy !!

I'm going to drop a block in tonight to see how they like it. I anticipate that they'll really dig it though. Maybe later, I can put it on rocks and whatnot to make it seem more natural.

I'm going to drop a block in tonight to see how they like it. I anticipate that they'll really dig it though. Maybe later, I can put it on rocks and whatnot to make it seem more natural.
Bare with it. It might take them a while, even a few days to realize it's food. There are some great tips in 'Ted's Fishroom'. I think i'll give it another go and hang it for the top/middle feeders. That was my only issue with it. Just have everything on hand, molds, whisks etc. I prepared it the same way as Ted(boiling water) but it sets a lot quicker than in the video. I didn't realize you could liquify it again though. Very handy.
Just remember, it's 1 part powder, 3 parts water, so you don't have to use large cups. You can make really small batch's. Some people use ice-cube molds, the silicone type trays....

Bare with it. It might take them a while, even a few days to realize it's food. There are some great tips in 'Ted's Fishroom'. I think i'll give it another go and hang it for the top/middle feeders. That was my only issue with it. Just have everything on hand, molds, whisks etc. I prepared it the same way as Ted(boiling water) but it sets a lot quicker than in the video. I didn't realize you could liquify it again though. Very handy.
Just remember, it's 1 part powder, 3 parts water, so you don't have to use large cups. You can make really small batch's. Some people use ice-cube molds, the silicone type trays....

I might drop a block in now just to see if they nibble. These fish go after anything that resembles food.

OK, since I have very strong currents in my tank, the Repashy block have moved to where I can no longer see them. I was able to capture some video of my smaller cichlids nibbling at it, but nothing more thus far. I will wait a couple of days, then try again when I KNOW they are hungry. I will also have to work with placement so that it doesn't get pushed to the back of the tank behind stuff. I fed a small block to the tank I hold feeder guppies in, and they ate it very quickly. I have faith that this stuff will do well, once I figure it out for my tank. Oh, I'll also be uploading some video once I have something good to show!

Yeah I forgot to mention that. The same thing happened in my 55g. I have a powerhead for circulation but it blows the food around so I switched it off. Try and remove it after about 10hrs. It melts and will get blown everywhere.....

you mentioned "my friends gobies", are you calling the gobies your friends or a hobbyist nicknamed Gobies? i would like a clarification because i'm considering getting this food for my freshwater gobies, aka stiphodons

My friend has stiphodon percnopterygionus. She is my friend. Her Gobies are shy, but will come out for food. :p She keeps two species of Hillstream Loaches in the same tank. 60g River tank.

I'm typing on my iPhone so occasionally even I miss an apostrophe. Sorry for the confusion.

Coursair aka Tina
( still not a man )
Coursair Whippets
Supporting member
San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
( SFBAAPS)

Back
Top Bottom