repeated algae blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I'm new to the forums, hope I put this in the right spot.
We have a 28 gallon bow front tank that is having it's second algae bloom in 2 months. It is not planted. I do a 20/25% water change weekly while vacuuming the gravel. There is a pleco and 4 upside catsfish, 5 each platies, mollies and guppies. There is just under 2 watts per gallon of light ( from 2 T5 HO 24W bulbs) and the lights are on for 8 hours a day. All the water parameters are where they should be. ph is about 7.8. it receives no outside light. (I also have a 90G planted that gets the water from the same source and actually gets bit of indirect sunlight that has no bloom problems). We cleared the algae the first time using a product called Algone and some drastic water changes and lights out over a 2 week period. But obviously this adress the underlying problem. But I CAN NOT figure out what that problem might be??? the fish are also only getting fed once a day sometimes alternating days. We use an eheim canister filter and the tank has been fully cycled for about 2 months now. My only thought is it's too much light? Anyone have any advice for us....please.

Yes, too much light. You can get just a regular fluorescent (not a plant bulb), or reduce lighting time drastically.

FYI, I have less lighting on my planted tank, and had algae problems.

Like he said, that is a LOT of light for no plants. Plus that is expensive lighting for no plants. You really need to put that entire fixture to the side and get something with just regular bulbs. Keep it just in case you do start plants today.

Go to a home improvement store and look for something with one or two bulbs (you prob only need one) and use that, or buy something from your LFS for just lighting.

Thanks for the advice. Right now it's covered in blankets and I'll do a bit of shopping to get the wattage down. Has anyone had success with Amano shrimp eat free floating algae?

Back
Top Bottom