riot in my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I realized that in my aquarium most of my fish are chasing each other and I'm not sure if its normal or I just have a bad choice of fish.
First of all I got a Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami (BLUE) a few months ago. He was chasing around my Swordtail (ATHOS) and my Balloon Ram (Adolph). After a while I went to my lfs and got what I thought a female Flame Dwarf Gourami (RED) to keep BLUE busy from chasing my fish. A few days later I saw RED building bubble nest and after posting pics here I found out that most lfs don't keep females and I got a second male :-( Along with RED I also got a Electric Blue Ram (ELECTRA).
Now it seems like BLUE and RED are fighting each other. Not only that but they are chasing around my other fish too. Never the less ELECTRA started chasing ADOLPH but sometimes he gets annoyed by her chasing and they end up sparring. Also ATHOS while being chased by Dwarfs gets also annoyed and ends up fighting them.
The fights and sparring are not "to the death" luckily, because most that happens in the end is very little fin nipping if anything (no major wounds whatsoever).
I was thinking to get females for my DGs but I don't wanna end up with more males ... I don't know what to do ...
Please let me know what should I do because I got a riot in my fishtank :-/

By the way, here is my setup :

55 GAL Marineland (70 G Penguin 350B & 40G Sponge) filters w/fake plants

1x Balloon Ram (male)
1x Swordtail (male)
3x Kuhli Loach
1x Black Kuhli
1x Blue Dwarf Gourami (male)
2x Bronze Cory
1x Flame Dwarf Gourami (male)
1x Electric Blue Ram (female)

It's awful watching fish bully each other around! Unfortunately some of your fish have agressive tendancies.
I know it's hard but your best bet may be to rehome one of your gouramis and get a female or two, It is hard to work out sexes for them but males tend to have pointed dorsal fins. Have a look at a few pics of them on google before you get any more.
Also, are you sure Electra is female? It's usually the male fish that does the chasing, They're old fashioned like that :)

Snowfire said:
It's awful watching fish bully each other around! Unfortunately some of your fish have agressive tendancies.
I know it's hard but your best bet may be to rehome one of your gouramis and get a female or two, It is hard to work out sexes for them but males tend to have pointed dorsal fins. Have a look at a few pics of them on google before you get any more.
Also, are you sure Electra is female? It's usually the male fish that does the chasing, They're old fashioned like that :)

Thanks for the advice. Electra should be female. I will post pic soon.

almcloud said:
By the way, here is my setup :

55 GAL Marineland (70 G Penguin 350B & 40G Sponge) filters w/fake plants

1x Balloon Ram (male)
1x Swordtail (male)
3x Kuhli Loach
1x Black Kuhli
1x Blue Dwarf Gourami (male)
2x Bronze Cory
1x Flame Dwarf Gourami (male)
1x Electric Blue Ram (female)

I think your issues can be easily resolved some thibgs that will help ..a bunch of hiding spots .. of plants ( live or not) ( can you post a picture of your tank)

rehoming one of the dwarf gouramis would be a good idea but its possible to have 2 in a 55g if they have hiding spots and plants to break their line of sight...

have your rams paired up and become friends or do they bully eachother?

I also think you should consider upping your schools of loaches and corys to 6 each

IMO once you get the aggression under control you could think about possibly adding a school of tetras or something ( because every one loves new fish right?)

PICS

I think your issues can be easily resolved some thibgs that will help ..a bunch of hiding spots .. of plants ( live or not) ( can you post a picture of your tank)

rehoming one of the dwarf gouramis would be a good idea but its possible to have 2 in a 55g if they have hiding spots and plants to break their line of sight...

have your rams paired up and become friends or do they bully eachother?

I also think you should consider upping your schools of loaches and corys to 6 each

IMO once you get the aggression under control you could think about possibly adding a school of tetras or something ( because every one loves new fish right?)

Yes, the Rams chase each other too, more Electra (Electric Blue Ram) chasing Adolph (Balloon Ram). Also for some reason they all like to swim on the right side of the tank, here are some pics with explanation. I don't know if it's because I feed them on this side or because i have some floating plants that take away some of the light or the filter making currents on the left side and they all like calmer waters :huh:

Attachments

• 55 Gal Front_modif.jpg
    55 Gal Front_modif.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 55 Gal Front-Left modif.jpg
    55 Gal Front-Left modif.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 117
  • ADOLPH male or female 1.jpg
    ADOLPH male or female 1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 103
more pics

to clarify once and for all the male/female dilemma :banghead:
;)

Attachments

• BLUE male or female 1.jpg
    BLUE male or female 1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 110
  • BLUE male or female 2.jpg
    BLUE male or female 2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DG -RED- male or female.jpg
    DG -RED- male or female.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Electra male or female 1 modif.jpg
    Electra male or female 1 modif.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 104
Added more plants

as far as I know your DGs are both male... and I'm not sure how to sex your ram

I added more plants where the fights take place, the right half of the tank.
See pics below.
By the way, can anyone explain why fish swim only on right half of tank? (pls see my previous thread about this question. TY)

Attachments

• 55 Gal Front-Right modif.jpg
    55 Gal Front-Right modif.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 55 Gal Front-Right (more plants) modif.jpg
    55 Gal Front-Right (more plants) modif.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 121
if the fighting continues you will need to force them to establish new territory. to do this, take ALL plants/ rocks/ decorations out of the tank.. then leave the tank for 5-10 mins.. then replant all plants a little different than they were prior to you removing them .. I've done this many times with great success

about them staying on one side of the tank.... I can really explain it because I have the same problem with my fancy goldfish.

some things it could be... understocking, warmer temp on one side, less/more ambient light, less/more human activity/ movement, ... are they just on one side or are they staying on the top or bottom of that side. or do they utilize the whole side ( all water levels)

rreekers said:
if the fighting continues you will need to force them to establish new territory. to do this, take ALL plants/ rocks/ decorations out of the tank.. then leave the tank for 5-10 mins.. then replant all plants a little different than they were prior to you removing them .. I've done this many times with great success

about them staying on one side of the tank.... I can really explain it because I have the same problem with my fancy goldfish.

some things it could be... understocking, warmer temp on one side, less/more ambient light, less/more human activity/ movement, ... are they just on one side or are they staying on the top or bottom of that side. or do they utilize the whole side ( all water levels)

They are using all water levels on right side. I do feed them on this side only, don't know if that has anything to do. Also on the left side there is more light and more current due to filter.
Will monitor them and then will take your advice with redecoration. By the way when you do that how much water should I remove. It usually stares the water and it becomes foggy for a while, is that okay for the fish?
Might be understocked since I only have 11 fish in a 55 gal, out of which 6 are bottom feeders :)
Was planning to get more but I'm stuck with the RIOT dilemma now :-(

Back
Top Bottom