RO/DI Water In my Cichlid Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought an RO/DI water system for my 75gal salt water aquarium. When im using it for my fresh water tank, do i just need to make the water and dump it in? Or should i do something special to the water after it comes out of the system?

you dont want to use ro/di in fw aquariums untreated. it has no buffering capacity. alot of people actually use the wastewater, but in all reality, tap is going to be much better. what kind of cichlids do you have? since africans generally prefer higher ph and harder water, if you do use ro/di, you'll want to add something like Aquarium Cichlid Water Conditioners: Seachem Malawi/Victoria Buffer... not necessarily that, but something similar. tap is way better imo

Ditto on mfd's post. Just to add to this for others that may read it, you never want to use distilled water for fw tanks either unless you "doctor" it first.

Ditto on mfd's post. Just to add to this for others that may read it, you never want to use distilled water for fw tanks either unless you "doctor" it first.

Yes, I learned that the hard way a few years ago and had problems with high fish loss. Now I mix RO with my "rock hard" well water for show tanks and just use pure well water in my fish stock tanks. I have very little fish loss now. The only problem with the well water is the crusty mineral deposits on filters and tank sides.

Back
Top Bottom