Rock from beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this big rock from the beach and it's PINK , my wife would like to see that on the tank but any advice on washing it.

I read some stuff online, tells me to use vinegar but I've never used it on the tank and I wanted to make sure.

I will post the pic of the rock after washing it
Thanks guys!

Boiling water poured over it a few times, do not boil the rock as it will become extremely hot and stay hot. Then scrub with a metal brush. Rinse and repeat a few times. Find out what kind of rock it is so it doesn't release any unwanted minerals in your water.

Boiling water poured over it a few times, do not boil the rock as it will become extremely hot and stay hot. Then scrub with a metal brush. Rinse and repeat a few times. Find out what kind of rock it is so it doesn't release any unwanted minerals in your water.

Ok let me see what happens
Thanks!

You can also buy a clear coat sealer for it if you are worried that will trap in everything and anything! That's what we do with stuff we like and want in our tank!

You can also buy a clear coat sealer for it if you are worried that will trap in everything and anything! That's what we do with stuff we like and want in our tank!

So I just ask for clear coat sealer from pet store?

No. Not at the pet store at the hardware store or even better a hobbie store but must make sure any clear coat or paint is aquarium safe. Toxin free.

No. Not at the pet store at the hardware store or even better a hobbie store but must make sure any clear coat or paint is aquarium safe. Toxin free.

Ya make sure that sealer is aquarium safe.

Oh god, you won't believe what happen, the Rock I though it was pink, as soon as I washed it all the color came out and it's nasty.

Thanks guys!

Jus really gota be careful... my man brought home this cool lava rock amd before we could seal it and use it he boiled the crap outta it for 2 weeks and some of the stuff that came outa it was sooo gross and nasty but it all worked out good luck! Sorry the rock didn't work out! :-(

Jus really gota be careful... my man brought home this cool lava rock amd before we could seal it and use it he boiled the crap outta it for 2 weeks and some of the stuff that came outa it was sooo gross and nasty but it all worked out good luck! Sorry the rock didn't work out! :-(

Ya I guess stuff from beach, lol.
Thank you!

Oh god, you won't believe what happen, the Rock I though it was pink, as soon as I washed it all the color came out and it's nasty.

Thanks guys!

That's scary to think you we're about to add that to your aquarium

That's scary to think you we're about to add that to your aquarium

Oh man, never again anything from beach or at least really wash it really good. it looked so pretty at first and then color changed and it was sticky slimy pink stuff. Must be some kids sticky ball or something that's melted in the Rock.
Scary!

IMI i would never add anything i found on the beach to my aquarium. The bacteria found on your beach is probably gonna effect your aquarium because the stuff in your tank does not come from that part of the ocean. So will be more vulnerable to disease and infestation.

IMI i would never add anything i found on the beach to my aquarium. The bacteria found on your beach is probably gonna effect your aquarium because the stuff in your tank does not come from that part of the ocean. So will be more vulnerable to disease and infestation.

Ur rite, never gonna thing of doing it again lol

Back
Top Bottom