Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know, I know. I ask a lot of questions, but I'm just trying to do things right for once. :lol!:

Anyway, I got my daughter to give me a bunch of fairly small rocks from her rock collection. I did the vinegar test that I read about, and no problems there. Since that isn't exactly an accurate test I decided to put them in a 5 gallon bucket full of water. I tested the parameters today, and want to leave them in there for a while and test again for any changes. But, I'm not sure how long to leave them in there, any suggestions? Or is this just a bad strategy?

You can find lists of rocks online too. I know that you can use shale, slate and granite, but not supposed to use limestone and rocks like that.

You can find lists of rocks online too. I know that you can use shale, slate and granite, but not supposed to use limestone and rocks like that.

I know that, but I have no idea what types of rocks these are. I suppose I could go to one of my University's geography professors or the rock museum and find out, but that almost seems like more work than tossing them in a bucket and testing the water. I just don't know how long I should leave them in there.

You can just google what they look like, that's what I did, and then I went out and found them. :)
I would leave them in there for at least a week.

You can just google what they look like, that's what I did, and then I went out and found them. :)
I would leave them in there for at least a week.

I'm not sure I could pick out the right type based on some pictures. I have no confidence in myself (when it comes to rocks). :lol!:

I was thinking a week too. I guess I'll go with that unless someone else chimes in and says something different.

It's pretty easy. Slate and shale are like disks, and slide apart in sheets really easily, they are black/grey. Granite is usually white with some black, some sparkley irridescence, and sometime little pink spots.

Hmm... nope, none of those match. lol

I think I'll do some google searches and continue to do the water test thing just to be safe. Thanks for the help! :D

Oh dear, there is a test for rocks before you put them in the aquarium. I just grabbed a bunch of rocks from my yard last week, washed them off with water and let them soak for a few days. Tonight I just tied all my anubia to them and sank them to the bottom of my aquarium. Uh oh?

Make sure there is no pyrite (fools gold) in the rocks. They acidify the water when they oxidise I think..... There is an article on rocks somewhere....

What kind of fish are you going to have in this tank? That can determine whether some rocks will work or not. I've also heard bad things about lava rock leaching heavy metals. If you can post pictures of the rocks, somebody on here can i.d. them for you. Jsoong is good at that (along with many, many other things;))

I plan to put them in my 55 gallon tank that has 2 balas, 2 silver tipped sharks, 1 angel, 2 pictus, 1 african leaf fish, 1 pleco, 1 rainbow shark, 3 silver dollars, 1 knife fish and 1 peacock eel.

The silver dollars I plan on getting rid of, or maybe getting another tank for since I've been told they get really big (info that was NOT given to me at the pet store...). Also, just for the record I've already been told that I probably need a bigger set up for some of these fish. Just thought I'd throw that out there to avoid the lecture. :p I plan on upgrading in a couple months.

A note on the rocks, they are all fairly small, and I don't plan on adding a whole lot of them. Just want one area with a rocky bottom because it is a spot my silver tipped sharks hang out, and they end up moving all the sand from the area. I'll try to post some pics later on tonight, or perhaps tomorrow night. I have 2 exams tomorrow, so I'm trying not to spend too much time doing the aquarium thing tonight.

Btw, I finally looked up the name of my knife fish. It is an African Knifefish, not one of the gigantic other ones.

What kind of fish are you going to have in this tank? That can determine whether some rocks will work or not. I've also heard bad things about lava rock leaching heavy metals. If you can post pictures of the rocks, somebody on here can i.d. them for you. Jsoong is good at that (along with many, many other things;))

Also, lave rock tends to be jagged and cut fish.

There is a test for rocks that works great, put a few dropps of acid ( i use muratic) and if it foams, its no good ( unless its a mbuna tamk them some use limestone). You could also use PH down as well ( the only time I will EVER recommend a PH product) Also distilled white vinigar can work in a pintch

I did the vinegar test (no foaming), but I've read that it isn't a very reliable test. There's so much different info out there it's hard to keep it all straight. :p

Sandstone works well too.

Actually, according to "Aquarium designs Inspired by Nature", these rocks are good... coal, basalt, flint, granite, sandstone, quartz, slate, and lava rock.

Bad rocks are chalk, limestone, marble, and tufa. Or some commonly known as ocean rock or spaghetti rock. Also, rocks that look like swiss cheese are often calcareous.

EDIT: This was simply for not changing water chemistry. I can't say anything about the "jaggedness' of the rocks.

I just thoroughly washed some rocks from my lake and put them in my aquarium. They have been in there for a week and everyone is doing fine. You may want to go with just local ecosystem rocks, as long as the place does not house polution.

Sandstone works well too.

Actually, according to "Aquarium designs Inspired by Nature", these rocks are good... coal, basalt, flint, granite, sandstone, quartz, slate, and lava rock.

I would have to disagree. I would highly advise against coal, as this is a petroleum byproduct. Would you dump motor oil in your tank? Sandstone will alter your water chemistry, so its not for the beginner. I dont like lava rock for the simple fact of fish safety.

I'm not worried at all about the jaggedness because they are all fairly round and smooth rocks.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm 100% sure that I have no coal rocks, and I'm almost 100% sure that there are no sandstone in my pile of rocks. None of them look to be any type of sedimentary rock.

I'm not worried at all about the jaggedness because they are all fairly round and smooth rocks.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm 100% sure that I have no coal rocks, and I'm almost 100% sure that there are no sandstone in my pile of rocks. None of them look to be any type of sedimentary rock.

Glad we could help. I am reminded of what my grandfather said, ''Fools are positive and a genius thinks awhile''. Check and double check and if you are unsure, use a diluted hydrochloric acid for sure (i.e muratic acid).

Back
Top Bottom