Ropefish Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two Ropefish, I believe one is a male and the other is a female. From what I can remember females tend to have more of an olive green color which one of mine does. The other is more of a darker brown. When I first got the 2nd one (the olive one) they bickered a little bit. I caught one of them biting the other one shortly after I brought the 2nd one home (several months to a year ago), but it was right after I put some food in the tank so I'm not sure if was aggression or if the one doing the biting mistook the other one for food.

Anyway, since that incident they've gotten along pretty well.
Well, this weekend I spent more time than usual watching my fish. I don't know why, they just really caught my attention. While I was watching them the 2 Ropefish were almost constantly swimming side by side. Wherever one went the other followed. They also seemed to intertwine with each other which was really cool to watch. I checked on them this morning and they were doing the same thing.

I know that they prefer the company of fellow Ropefish, but is this typical behavior? I don't know if Ropefish have ever been bred in captivity, I'm assuming probably not since they're wild caught (from what I can remember). I'm just curious to find out if they're just being "friends" or if it's a dominance thing or what it is.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom