Rotting !! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today, i've looked in my tank, to check my fish are doing okay, and I saw this one guppy on its own, so I looked closely and saw that half of its tale fin was gone/ortting, it's got white stuff all over it's fins. What should I do, none of my fish have this problem, the fish that does have it swims along and does'nt move very much :( What can I do?

It does'nt look like Ich, but i think i could be wrong, i've just noticed one white spot on the middle of the fish, but i'm not certain.

I don't have a QT or have anyway of getting one :(

Thanks in advance

Does the spot look like what is on the fish in this article?

What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temp)?

They don't look like that fish, its just rotting on the fins on that one fish.

I don't know what my water readings are at the momet. I've ran out of testing kits the the moment. Going to buy some more tomorrow. The tank is about 3 weeks old now, so i'm guessing its cycled. The temp is 26*C 79 F. Last time i checked the levels were pH 7.5 Nitrates 0 and not sure about the others :S sorry.

So i'm glad it's not Ich now. But could it just be finrot?

It could be finrot. Fancy-finned fish like bettas and guppies can get it. Well, all fish can get it, but it's probably more noticable on long-finned fish.

For my bettas, I use a med called BettaMax by Aquatronics. The label says it can be used on guppies also. If you can't find it, try an antibiotic like kanamycin or erythromycin.

Some brands that I've used before and liked are Mardel 1 and Mardel 2 antibiotic, Jungle Fungus Eliminator, or Aquarium Pharmaceuticals triple sulfa meds.

You can get a Rubbermaid container to use as a QT. That's cheap and then you'll have something if you need it again. Just add an airstone, and a heater if necessary.

The tank is about 3 weeks old now, so i'm guessing its cycled. The temp is 26*C 79 F. Last time i checked the levels were pH 7.5 Nitrates 0 and not sure about the others :S sorry.
Probably not. Ammonia and nitrite will be 0 when a tank is cycled, but nitrates go up a bit.

Aside from medicating, clean water will help the fish.

Back
Top Bottom