SAE actually CAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James From Cali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking at pics of Chinese Algae Eaters I noticed that my "SAE" looked very much similar. Took a good look and its true that I got the CAE. What should I do with it. I do not have a larger tank for it and the person I was originally going to give it to doesnt want CAE. I cant return it since its past 14 days and the otehr store around me doesnt take fish.

Just give it to the fish store. I'd try to argue that they mislabeled the fish. Show them this. It's better for your other fish and your sanity to return it either way. Where in California are you from? I can recommend a store that carries true SAE. PM me.

I know the people there but they said that they cant go against the policy. Eve if I just gave it to them. And where I had gotten it was Petsmart. I should have know but they all look the same until I found that site about the differences.

Try to give it to any local fish store that will take it. Explain to them the situation. It's a free fish for them, and I know they don't run too much from PetSmart so it's not a huge loss.

Try listing it with your local aquarium society. Or contact the manager and ask to speak to the regional manager.

Thanks you guys. I will try talking to other LFS that I'd have to travel further too but I will have to. And if that doesnt pan out I will see ifa local person wants him.

Call in advance. It will save you a lot of driving.

Just sneak it into your friend's tank some day. :)

lol. Well I will call but I will be having my friend drive me. Unfortunately I dont have my license yet.

CAE's - according to one website - is only good as a feeder fish, so give it to someone to feed to their oscar or something.

CAE's are wonderful algae eaters when young. But they can grow quite large (up to 10 inches) and can get very aggressive as they mature. At the moment it will not hurt your tank, that is unless you have no food for it and it is starving.

The fish was sold to you mislabeled. I would contact PetSmart head office or the Store Manager and explain that. At the very least they should take back the fish for store credit or trade. never try to deal with employees on the flor. They have zero ability to get anything done as their hands are tied and they don't earn enough money to fight for you.

CAE's are wonderful algae eaters when young. But they can grow quite large (up to 10 inches) and can get very aggressive as they mature. At the moment it will not hurt your tank, that is unless you have no food for it and it is starving.

The fish was sold to you mislabeled. I would contact PetSmart head office or the Store Manager and explain that. At the very least they should take back the fish for store credit or trade. never try to deal with employees on the flor. They have zero ability to get anything done as their hands are tied and they don't earn enough money to fight for you.

Right now he has alot of food haha. And he a plump one at that. But I know how fast these things switch attitudes and I am not wanting to see my almost all Black Betta or my very gold Marigold Varitus female be killed.

I talked a manager at petsmart and employees at my old job. The manager at Petsmart said, and I quote, "We cannot take the fish back as you're well over the 14 days. And we cant take it back at all even mislabeled.

Here's my plan. Go to your nearest Chinese restaurant, where they keep the fish alive in tanks before serving. Slip the CAE in there. Done and done. (I'm kidding in case you couldn't tell.)

I agree with tkos! I emailed the head office for Petsmart online one time when I had a problem and the local store manager called ME to resolve the problem VERY quickly.

That is your way to go for sure! ( But I did chuckle at the thought of smuggling it into the Chinese rest. tank....lol.)

Come to think of it, you might ask them if they want it!

Well thankfully I talked to my cousin who haves more than enough room for one more. He has a 300g tank with 3 of them so far and he thinks they are great. He came and got it yesterday and so I was happy. Now Im in more of a bind cause the only place around here I found that sells Slim Harlequin's are petsmart and they are discontinueing them.

Are those the same as Harlequin Rasboras? Those are cheap down here (So Cal) at one local fish store chain. They're 99 cents and buy 3, get 1 free. I'm no expert at shipping fish as I have never done it, but maybe there is someone here that can do it for you. Anyone? I can recommend the place. I have 16 of them.

Rasbora espei=Slim Harlequin Rasbora :). I may just scratch the idea for now and do a regular 10g community tank.

Back
Top Bottom