Safe for aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found these and I like them for my 55 gallon tank, aquarium safe? Or how can I make them?
Thanks!
img_2769668_0_0ded0a44c80a766a2fba161144ba1010.jpg

There seeds of some sort. I personally wouldnt use them as i would believe once soaked they woukd rott from the inside out in the tank causing water quality issues.

Come and see the forum if youre at your computer. :) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser!

Last edited:
I found these and I like them for my 55 gallon tank, aquarium safe? Or how can I make them?
Thanks!

If you coat them with silicone they would work fine. If you have enough to risk ruining a few I would try hollowing them out and coating with silicone on the inside and outside. Or stuff them with something heavy enough to sink.

They wont have the same visual effect once coated. A small imperfection could let water in and rot the inside. I usually only put things in my tank i am 100% sure isnt going to have negative effects.

If you must, aquarium silicone can be bought from ebay, some hardware stores and probably your lfs also. Also dipping them in liquid super glue would be a thinner safe coat but would also change the visuals of these seeds. You would have to make sure you covered all surfaces well. Water will tend to find a way in someway or another and thats why i dont recommend using them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser!:)

Last edited:
What are they? Are they natural? Where did you get them? Whenever I'm wondering about something being able to be in my tanks I just stick it in a cup or bowl of water for a while and wait...see what happens.

You could dip them in a clear acrylic. It comes in two separate containers. You mix equal parts and then dip the item in. Hang it up or lay it on some greased paper and let it set up. It makes a clear acrylic coating. You can get it at just about any hobby place. You could also put several layers of clear acrylic paint on it. I have done that with branches I wanted to keep the bark on. Just put several coats on the seeds and let them dry. I would try to cut the seeds apart and take out the soft insides first. Then glue them back with crazy glue.

They look like acorns to me. They will release a fair ammount of tannins in the water and probably a little nitrogen when they start breaking down. Not sure how long they will last.

I'm pretty sure they'll float too, and honestly they'll probably try to sprout. I wouldn't really bother if it were me.

Back
Top Bottom