Salt or no salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aqua_chem said:
In therapeutic doses, and specifically rapid changes, it will hurt single celled organisms worse then multicellular ones. But in long term dosages, bacteria and other micro-organisms will quickly adapt to moderate or high salinities in the same way the will eventually adapt to even the most powerful antibiotic.

Interesting, never thought about that, but it does make sense. So is that something that might point away from consistently dosing salt? Would you think that all bacteria/parasites in your tank that survived the initial addition of salt would become immune?

I suppose having some salt in your tank would help protect against diseases introduces with new fish.

WBAC88 said:
Interesting, never thought about that, but it does make sense. So is that something that might point away from consistently dosing salt? Would you think that all bacteria/parasites in your tank that survived the initial addition of salt would become immune?

I suppose having some salt in your tank would help protect against diseases introduces with new fish.

Its more like .01% of the population (or even less) will have some mutation that already made it resistant to hyperosmotic conditions, and since the only organisms left over will be salt resistant, at least most of their offspring will also be resistant. This an example of genetic drift and the founder effect.

Salting fish is a great short term treatment, but has significant diminishing returns long term.

jetajockey said:
The best thing would be to have a proper quarantine procedure in place for new additions, that way the affected fish can be treated if necessary and the entire tank doesn't have to go through it.

Sigh, I know, it's one of this things that I haven't really gotten around to doing yet. I have a tank for it and everything. So, how do you set up your QT tank? Is it running constantly and cycled, just waiting for new fish, or is it something that just is set up as needed? Sorry a little OT.

WBAC88 said:
Sigh, I know, it's one of this things that I haven't really gotten around to doing yet. I have a tank for it and everything. So, how do you set up your QT tank? Is it running constantly and cycled, just waiting for new fish, or is it something that just is set up as needed? Sorry a little OT.

You can run your filter on your DT and when needed move it over to the QT instantly cycling it or you can set it up, cycle it and keep it cycled by adding pure ammonia every day it two.

Back
Top Bottom