Sand Questions, Filtration and Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well since I am battling ick in my established little 10 gallon tank I decided to do some reading. I had originally planned this tank to house my wonderful blue crayfish but since the ick out break I will be waiting again. Waiting for the cycle was painful enough!

Anyways, are there any recommended filter/filter types for sand? I've got a aquarium kit that came with a hang on the back filter, and it grinds everyonce in awhile because some sand gets stuck in the energizer. Also, what about gravel vac'ing? Will I suck up alot of sand? Not to mention when you vac you have to stir up the bottom, and sand will cloud the water abit while it settles.

I've been turning the filter off when I would do maintenance ( add decor, move/reattach plants etc.. ) and wait about 10 minutes for the sand to settle and then start it back up. Same strategy for vac I assume?

I was also told to make sure to stir up the sand good because of some sort of air pockets that build up underneath it. Which concerned me as well. Any more info on this to?

When I clean my tank I stir the sand around with my hand then let all the waste settle on top of the sand. Then I gently swirl my vac around over the sand to get the waste into it. Just don't dig the vac into the sand. I'm no expert but I think any filter is good with sand, because sand should not ever really get into your filter since it can damage the impeller. Lots of people on here put some kind of sponge material over the intake to keep large grains out.

I see. Sponge material over the intake? Can you show me what something like this would look like?

Thats a great idea, but my sand is pretty fine. And I really don't know the parts of the filter that well.. But the sand is in the Energizer ( bottom rotating thingy ) and grinds..

I use a home made prefilter. I just cut up a small filter sponge to put on the bottom of the intake tube. It works great and will also save any baby fish. The sand will damage the impeller over time otherwise.

I figured it would cause damage. Can you post up a picture? I thought about buying a new filter cartridge and cutting some of it and putting it inside the tube. But won't that cause the filter to not pick up debris as well? Not to mention it would filter the water then and there in the tube, instead of in the actual filter assembly..

Btw, this is my filter http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/productdetail.aspx?id=1276&cid=275

That rotating thing is the impeller. If it grinds then you should carefully take it apart and clean it out. Putting the part of the cartridge into the intake isn't a good idea. Someone on here will tell you what material to use. I'd like to know too, cause I don't have anything covering my intake either.

I use an AC50 sponge. I cut a slit in it and jam it onto my intake. Works great will last a long time.

That is the whole filter unit. The sponge is a block of foam like material. Think of a course sponge. I just put a slit in once side and put it on my intake. I would take a photo but you cant see it there is a lot of stuff in front of it.

Yeah like the filter replacement cartridge? So its like a sock over the intake tube, won't that filter right then and there rather then in the filter unit itself?

:?:

It will remove some debris. Much easier to rinse a sponge instead of taking apart and cleaning a cannister. A win win situation. :)

That would work perfect.. Might have to see if I can get ahold of some.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back
Top Bottom