Sand vs gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new tank and would really like to do sand. Can people tell me the pros and cons of sand vs gravel? And what type of sand you would recommend?

For me, the Pro / Cons is really mostly aesthetic. For some species, the smoother texture of sand is better than coarser gravels and for some plants, sand is a better substrate for roots to anchor into, rather than gravel.

I personally prefer the look of sand (Pool Filter Sand) than gravel. PFS(silica based) is a bit coarser (and easy to find) than playsand and may not cloud up as much when you do Gravel vacs.

I would also suggest you consider looking at black diamond blasting sand ... dark substrate really makes color pop and a few members have used black diamond without any issues.

I couldnt find pfs so I use all purpose sand from home depot. Its not as clean but works fine for me.

Yeah, I got some black sand from PETCO off amazon, I've been looking at hardware stores and still haven't found any blasting sand. Still trying to get some though. I would buy online but shipping is pretty high. I thought about doing sand and gravel. Have u ever done that before? And if so how did it turn out?

Bobby56 said:
Yeah, I got some black sand from PETCO off amazon, I've been looking at hardware stores and still haven't found any blasting sand. Still trying to get some though. I would buy online but shipping is pretty high. I thought about doing sand and gravel. Have u ever done that before? And if so how did it turn out?

Sand will settle into and under gravel eventually. Since I have small tanks I do sand and use snails to aerate it.

Back
Top Bottom